See our comparisons of the Best Beauty Subscription Boxes under $20!
BOX BASICS: All subscriptions are under $20 per month, so it’s easy to draw comparisons.
CUSTOMIZATION: Most subscriptions also ask you to complete a basic beauty profile. Ipsy allows you to rate items for Ipsy match and has started allowing a limited number of subscribers to select an item, but that feature isn’t yet universal.
REFERRALS & POINTS: Ipsy offer referral points; redeem points on selected samples in the Ipsy bonus section. You earn points on the monthly Sephora subscription plus you can redeem a PLAY! card in-store for an extra 50 points on any purchase.
VARIATIONS: Play!, Ipsy, and Birchbox send out multiple subscriber variations – we’re showing what we’ve reviewed here, and we would love to hear your experiences in the comments. For Allure, LookFantastic, and Macy’s, everyone typically receives the exact same items, although sometimes Allure Beauty Box has variations.
- Ipsy bag
- Purlisse Coconut Oil + Plumeria Silky Body Butter (Deluxe sample, $4)
- Moroccan Magic Manuka Honey Lipbalm (Full size, $3.98)
- Benefit Cosmetics Roller Lash Mascara in Black (Deluxe sample, $9.75)
- Ciaté London Fierce Flicks Eyeliner in Black (Full size, $19)
- The Balm Cosmetics AutoBalm Day2Nite in Lombard St. (Deluxe sample, $5.50?)
Total Value: About $42.23
The bag designs this month for all three levels were just stunning! The Benefit mascara sample choice is the standout item in this curation. The eyeshadow single from a well-known brand has a good formulation and it also comes in an attractive color. The liner, lip balm, and lotion helped round out the bag. It was eye focused this month, with three items for that area alone.
Review: Ipsy May 2020 Review
- When Glamour Base Bio-Cellulose Sheet Mask ($7)
- Acure Resurfacing Glycolic & Unicorn Root Cleanser ($2.17)
- Curology Smooth Sailing Moisturizer
- AHC Essential Real Eye Cream For Face ($28.99)
- VDL Lumilayer Primer ($5.33)
- Skin Inc My Daily Dose of Glow Illuminate & Brightening Serum ($65)
Total Value: About $108.49
Allure sent quite an assortment of skincare products this month so subscribers can present a radiant face as they venture out of their houses again. If you are into skincare then this is the perfect box for you! The serum is one of the best items in the box. It gives the face a nice shine, but without making it too greasy. There was a mix-up regarding the Curology item in this box due to a manufacturing error. Some of the subscribers received cleanser instead of the moisturizer as the label indicates.
Deal: Get a FREE new member bonus item with your first box! Deal applies automatically, just visit and subscribe.
- Magn!tone London Wipe Out ECO-Friendly Micro Fibre Cleansing Cloth ($9.23)
- Avant Ultimate Hyaluronic Acid Resurfacing Duo Moisturizer ($96.60)
- The Hydra-Biome Korres Face Mask ($9.86)
- Balance Me Hyaluronic Plumping Mist ($14.40)
- Dr.Lipp 100% Natural Moisturising Colour Lip Tint in Sweet Potato ($5.35)
- Eyeko Mini Brow Gel ($12.50)
Total Value: About $148
It has a good mix of skincare items and cosmetic products! Some of the most promising items are the mist and the moisturizer! Both of them are perfect for those who have dry skin. The lip balm and the brow gel were also nice. They come in sizes that are perfect to bring at work or when traveling.
Of Note: While this box is $22 per month it has free worldwide shipping and if you subscribe to a year you’ll get it at $15 per month (plus you don’t have to pay upfront!). Always a mini Elle magazine plus a nice mix of UK beauty brands. Sizes are smaller but if you don’t live in the US & are willing to pay for a year upfront, this is a great choice!
Deal: Get your first box for $10 on a 3+ month subscription! Use coupon code TREATBB.
- Rael Collagen Sheet Mask ($3.20)
- Lawless Beauty Soft Matte Liquid Lipstick ($25)
- Arrow Nourishing Lip Oil – Color Enhancing Pink ($6. 86)
- Kate Somerville Exfolikate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment ($10.63)
- Saint Jane Luxury CBD Beauty Serum ($12.50)
- Wander Beauty Mile High Club Volume and Length Mascara ($26)
Total Value: About $80
All the products were amazing but the best one has got to be the mascara! It gives a dramatic effect on the lashes, and it also has conditioning properties. The skincare items are also usable, from the sheet mask to the serum!
- See special savings on your subscription! Deal applies automatically, just visit and subscribe.
- Save 15% off on $30+ Birchbox shop orders! Use coupon code FIRST15.
For the month of May, we only have 4 boxes to compare for this category. Our winner is definitely Lookfantastic! It’s a well-thought-out curation that includes skincare and cosmetics, and most of them are promising! Also, its total retail value is over $140, which is really amazing considering that the box costs less than $20. Allure takes the second spot as the box is an assortment of skincare that is best for people who have dry skin. They curated products that keep the skin healthy despite the weather. Birchbox curated and Ipsy are still great boxes for this month as both contain a stunning and good mix of products, though Ipsy focused more on the eyes. Overall, we’re still pleased with everything that we received!