It’s the Ipsy vs. Sephora Play vs. Birchbox $10 Beauty Box showdown!
Ipsy vs. Sephora PLAY! vs. Birchbox
BOX BASICS: All three subscriptions are just $10 per month, so it’s easy to draw comparisons. All three of these beauty boxes also ship out 5 samples (Sephora PLAY! also sends a bonus fragrance plus a beauty item, and occasionally you’ll get a small extra in Birchbox).
CUSTOMIZATION: All three subscriptions also ask you to complete a basic beauty profile. Ipsy allows you to rate items for ipsy match and has started allowing a limited number of subscribers to select an item, but that feature isn’t yet universal. Birchbox also allows you to rate items but doesn’t alter your profile in response to your ratings.
REFERRALS & POINTS: Both Birchbox and Ipsy offer referral points; redeem points on full-size products in the Birchbox shop or on selected samples in the Ipsy bonus section. You earn points on the monthly Sephora subscription plus you can redeem a PLAY! card in-store for an extra 50 points on any purchase.
VARIATIONS: All three of these boxes also send out multiple subscriber variations – we’re showing what we’ve reviewed here, and we would love to hear your experiences in the comments!
Our thoughts? You’re most likely to get items you’ll find in Sephora in PLAY!, including some cult up and coming goodies. That’s a no brainer. Ipsy is a mix of influencer faves, some prestige products, and some drugstore. You won’t often find drugstore products in Birchbox – but you may find some interesting natural beauty brands.
PLAY! by Sephora ($10 per month!)
- Buxom Full-On Lip Polish In Celeste ($6.76)
- Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Perfector In Shade #6 ($6)
- Kiehl’s Powerful-Strength Line-Reducing Concentrate ($6.20)
- Philosophy Purity Made Simple Moisturizer ($1.24)
- Burberry My Burberry Blush ($4.53)
- Dr. Dennis Gross Ferulic + Retinol Wrinkle Recovery Peel ($11)
Total Value: About $36
The retail value is about $35.73, it’s noticeably higher than last month’s! We love the samples included in this month’s box, especially the anti-aging products and the moisturizer. The items in this curation work together perfectly and we’re pretty satisfied overall.
Birchbox ($10 per month!)
- Lipstick Queen Lip Liner In Natural ($9)
- Ouai Hair Care Volume Spray ($4.65)
- Coola Dawn Patrol Classic Primer ($7.14)
- Oribe Hair Plumping Mousse ($5.47)
- Derma-E Hydrating Night Cream ($7.38)
Total Value: About $34
Items from this month has a retail value of about $34. There are two items are specifically for fine hair (profile match!), and there are also skin care products and a gorgeous lip liner. Getting everything for $10 is simply awesome!
Review: Birchbox April 2018 Review
Birchbox Curated Box ($10 per month!)
- Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner ($12.57)
- Davines LOVE Smoothing Shampoo – For Coarse or Frizzy Hair ($7.69)
- Davines LOVE Smoothing Conditioner – For Coarse or Frizzy Hair ($1.42)
- Acure Organics Brilliantly Brightening Facial Scrub ($2.50)
- Clarins Multi-Active Day Cream SPF 20 – All Skin Types ($3.17)
- Jane Iredale Just Kissed Lip and Cheek Stain in Forever Pink ($25 for the full size – $5 for this one?)
Total Value: About $27
The curated Birchbox has a retail value of around $27 which is really nice and, and the overall curation may be a tiny box, but the value is just great! Our favorite items are the eyeliner pen that makes gorgeous cat eyes and the stain that makes cheeks look a little sun-kissed. We’re really happy with the skin care products too, especially the Clarins antioxidant day cream that minimizes fine lines.
Ipsy ($10 per month!)
- Ofra Cosmetics Blush Pan Refill In Chameleon ($12)
- Firma 202 Angled Eyeshadow Blender ($12.99)
- Bella Pierre Banana Setting Powder ($18)
- Purlisse Coconut Oil + Coffee Sugar Body Scrub ($10)
- H2O+ Beauty Oasis Hydrating Treatment ($7.60)
Total Value: About $61
This month’s Ipsy is a good curation overall, as it covers different aspects of skin care and makeup. I just wish they added a brush I can use for the blush and setting powder to establish a connection between products but for $10, it’s awesome for a bag with a retail value of $61.
Review: Ipsy April 2018 Review
It’s another winning month for Ipsy, curation-wise and value-wise. Great thing the curated Birchbox came just in time to be included in this month’s comparison, and I also love it! As always, it’s a good competition between all the boxes as each of them have great stuff to offer. They all sent beauty and makeup items that are very useful for the season!