It’s the Ipsy vs. Sephora Play vs. Birchbox $10 Beauty Box showdown!
Ipsy vs. Sephora PLAY! vs. Birchbox
BOX BASICS: All three subscriptions are just $10 per month, so it’s easy to draw comparisons. All three of these beauty boxes also ship out 5 samples (Sephora PLAY! also sends a bonus fragrance plus a beauty item, and occasionally you’ll get a small extra in Birchbox).
CUSTOMIZATION: All three subscriptions also ask you to complete a basic beauty profile. Ipsy allows you to rate items for ipsy match and has started allowing a limited number of subscribers to select an item, but that feature isn’t yet universal. Birchbox also allows you to rate items but doesn’t alter your profile in response to your ratings.
REFERRALS & POINTS: Both Birchbox and Ipsy offer referral points; redeem points on full-size products in the Birchbox shop or on selected samples in the Ipsy bonus section. You earn points on the monthly Sephora subscription plus you can redeem a PLAY! card in-store for an extra 50 points on any purchase.
VARIATIONS: All three of these boxes also send out multiple subscriber variations – we’re showing what we’ve reviewed here, and we would love to hear your experiences in the comments!
Our thoughts? You’re most likely to get items you’ll find in Sephora in PLAY!, including some cult up and coming goodies. That’s a no brainer. Ipsy is a mix of influencer faves, some prestige products, and some drugstore. You won’t often find drugstore products in Birchbox – but you may find some interesting natural beauty brands.
PLAY! by Sephora ($10 per month!)
- Chloe Eau De Parfum Natural Spray ($3)
- Sephora Collection Rouge Matte in Rebel Chic ($4.42)
- Nars Matte Velvet Lip Pencil in Let’s Go Crazy ($20.25)
- Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Rosegold ($17.68)
- Belif Moisturizing Eye Bomb ($9.60)
- Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Meltaway Cleansing Balm ($4.54)
Total Value: About $59
This month’s Sephora delivered a lot of amazing stuff in a box full of love. Our favorite is absolutely the Belif Moisturizing Eye Bomb, with the Rouge Matte lipstick coming in a close second. The skincare and makeup items from this subscription are always of high quality from the best brands in the market.
Birchbox ($10 per month!)
- Avene Hydrance Intense Serum Rehydrant ($3.76)
- MAC In Extreme Dimension 3D Black Lash Mascara ($23 Full-Size 0.44oz., about $1?)
- The Beauty Crop Wing Woman Liquid Eyeliner ($12.50)
- Balance Me Wonder Eye Cream ($13.53)
- Ouai Leave-In Conditioner ($4.65)
Total Value: About $35
Items from this month’s regular Birchbox has a value of about $35 or so (I really did count $1 for the mascara, I think it’s a terrible sample!). It wasn’t their best box for sure, but at least it included a nearly full size black liquid eyeliner and a great eye cream along with the ability to test out a few other products!
Review: Birchbox February 2018 Review
Birchbox Curated Box ($10 per month!) – Follow Your Heart Curated Box
- Love Beauty and Planet Smooth and Serene Argan Oil & Lavender Shampoo ($2)
- Love Beauty and Planet Smooth and Serene Argan Oil & Lavender Conditioner ($2)
- DOUCCE Luscious Lip Stain in Steaming Red ($14)
- Beauty Crop Wing Woman Liquid Eyeliner in Black ($12.50)
- Sunday Riley Good Genes All-in-One Lactic Acid Treatment ($17)
Total Value: About $47.50
The curated Birchbox has a really impressive value, and the overall curation is also a win since they included hair care, make-up, and skin care products. Our favorites include the dual purpose lippie and the eye liner. The shampoo and conditioner combo is perfect too! Everything works really well and we’re happy to get them all for $10!
Ipsy ($10 per month!)
- Luxie Beauty Blending Shading Brush 249 – SIMILAR (about $24)
- Sand & Sky Detoxify + Brighten Purifying Pink Clay Mask ($11.25)
- Seraphine Botanicals Lychee + Gold Blush ($8)
- Marsk Loose Eyeshadow In Foiled Again ($22.50)
- Blaq Meteor Shower Shimmer Scrub ($6.24)
Total Value: About $72
This month’s Ipsy is really a good curation overall, and the total value was about $72! We’re really happy with the idea of the meteor shimmer scrub, even though it didn’t work out the best! The brush is also great because it’s dual purpose, while the rest of the makeup items are really useful! My bag arrived just in time to doll up a romantic Valentine’s look.
Review: Ipsy February 2018 Review
- Ofra Long Lasting Liquid Lipstick in Ipsy Unzipped ($20 fullsize)
- Z Skin Winter Skin Hydrating Spray ($4.75)
- bioBelle #Primer Tencel Facial Mask ($9.98)
- Luna by Luna Baked Highlighter ($23 fullsize)
- It Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye ($9.75)
Total Value: About $67.48
Review: Ipsy February 2018 Review #2 – NO REVIEW – just a look at another variation!
For this month, hands down to the curated BIRCHBOX, it’s always a winner for me. However, all of them has new and great stuff to offer, especially for beauty junkies, and there’s always a lot to get from $10 boxes, it’s always an amazing deal!