See our comparisons of these two Popular Beauty Subscription Boxes!
- We put Ipsy Glam Bag Plus and Boxycharm head to head to determine which beauty subscription box is best for you.
- Ipsy Glam Bag Plus is ideal for having personalized items conveniently packed together, while Boxycharm is better for creativity and trying new beauty products.
- MORE: The Best Beauty Subscription Boxes with Full Size Products
- Sign up for the Hello Subscription newsletter for more great subscription info and deals!
Ipsy Glam Bag Plus & Boxycharm Comparison
Beauty subscription boxes are an amazing way to stay updated with the latest trends in makeup, skincare, hair products, and so much more. These subscription services deliver items at cheaper prices as compared to purchasing the contents separately. But which one is right for you?
Founded in 2011 out of the YouTube beauty movement, Ipsy has since brought inspiration towards their subscribers around the world to express each of their unique beauty. They provide skincare items, perfumes, nail and skin products, and makeup based on your preferences. Ipsy Glam Bag subscribers can upgrade to Ipsy Glam Bag Plus or Ipsy Glam Bag X to receive full-size items.
On the other hand, Boxycharm is another beauty subscription service, which was founded in 2013. Since then, they have grown to be one of the most well-known beauty subscription boxes on the market. From their customized box of full-size makeup, skincare, beauty tools, and color cosmetics, Boxycharm surprises you each month with products from popular and upcoming beauty brands. Boxycharm subscribers can upgrade to Boxycharm Premium or Boxycharm Luxe to receive more items. Note that the Boxycharm Luxe upgrade is exclusive to the Boxycharm subscription and is not yet made available for Boxycharm Premium members.
Image from our review.
Ipsy Glam Bag Plus is a monthly beauty subscription box. Each box comes with 5 full-size products tailored to your specific needs. This features items such as hair care products, skincare products, nail products, and makeup products.
Image from our review.
Boxycharm is a subscription service, which delivers 5 full-size items right to your door every month. This includes makeup, skincare, beauty tools, and color cosmetics. Every Boxycharm package aims to bring trending products to subscribers.
Now, what do these beauty subscription boxes have in common? They both offer products that fill all your beauty needs. However, there are some certain factors where Ipsy Glam Bag Plus and Boxycharm differentiate themselves from one another, which will help you make your choice. Here are all the details that will help you decide which beauty subscription suits you best.
PRICING AND PLANS
Ipsy Glam Bag Plus Pricing and Plans
Ipsy Glam Bag Plus promises a value of at least $120-plus per box. Both Ipsy Glam Bag Plus and Boxycharm offer lower monthly costs to subscribers who sign up for longer plans. Ipsy Glam Bag Plus’ monthly subscription plan costs $25 per box. Ipsy Glam Bag Plus has free shipping throughout the United States, and Canada will be charged an extra $2.95 per month in shipping.
Boxycharm Pricing and Plans
Boxycharm comes with the assurance of delivering an average value of over $175 per box. Although both services give out savings to subscribers who sign up for longer-term subscriptions, Boxycharm still has more subscription types than Ipsy Glam Bag Plus. Boxycharm’s monthly subscription plan costs $25 per box. Boxycharm offers free shipping within the contiguous United States (48 bordering states), while Hawaii, Alaska, all U.S. territories, and Canada have a shipping fee of $5 per box.
In each of these beauty subscription boxes, subscribers get to save more money by acquiring multiple month subscription plans. Ipsy Glam Bag Plus and Boxycharm have the same cost for their monthly and annual membership. They both offer free shipping in the United States and provide discounts for longer commitments. Value-wise, both boxes give you more than what you pay for, but Boxycharm’s products are slightly more expensive than Ipsy Glam Bag Plus’ items.
CUSTOMIZATION AND SIGN UP PROCESS
In order to choose the right beauty subscription box for you, it must be aligned with your tastes and preferences. Ipsy Glam Bag Plus and Boxycharm include a Beauty Quiz that’ll help them tailor a box specific to your needs. Both their sign up forms are extremely detailed and will really guide you to acquire the products that fit you the best.
Ipsy Glam Bag Plus Customization and Sign Up Process
When you sign up for Ipsy Glam Bag Plus, you’ll start by answering questions that will help them personalize a box just for you. They’ll ask you to provide information like your skin tone, your eye or hair color, and the beauty brands you love.
Then, you’ll be asked to choose which type of subscription you want to acquire. Also, you can opt in to receive emails from Ipsy to get updates about their special offers, sneak peeks, and more delivered directly to your inbox. This newsletter will serve as your daily preview of the must-see events from Ipsy.
Boxycharm Customization and Sign Up Process
To join Boxycharm, you’ll have to answer questions about yourself for them to get to know you a little better. Primarily, they’ll ask you to pick a subscription plan.
Once your order has been placed (don’t forget the code from Boxy’s homepage!), you’ll be taken to the Boxycharm Beauty Quiz to help them get an idea of what you’re into. This quiz is basically insignificant and has little to do with the items that you’ll receive.
Finally, you can subscribe to Boxycharm’s exclusive email list for early sneak peeks, special promotions, and exciting giveaways. You can also sign up for their text message to receive free alerts for early sneak peeks and special promotions.
Ipsy Glam Bag Plus Monthly Themes
One of the perks of Ipsy Glam Bag Plus is subscribers get to experience different themes every month with the boxes they receive. Also, their beauty bag is always designed to each month’s theme. Some of the themes Ipsy has previously used include “Wild Side,” “Clean Slate,” “Feel The Love,” “Celebrate You,” “Full Bloom,” “Get That Glow,” “Take A Break,” “The Future Is Yours,” “Good Vibes,” “You’re Magic,” “Be Present,” and “Home For The Holidays.”
Boxycharm Monthly Themes
Boxycharm always has a theme each month, and their items serve fresh new looks every month. Boxycharm’s past boxes featured themes such as “Breaking The Ice,” “Festival Vibes,” “Mother Nature,” “Harvest,” “Fresh Start,” “Lucky,” and “Sweet Treats.” Their box contents also include tips related to the month’s theme, season, or holiday, which makes the unboxing experience for subscribers all the more enjoyable.
TYPES OF PRODUCTS AND BRANDS
Ipsy Glam Bag Plus Types of Products and Brands
Ipsy Glam Bag Plus is highly dependent on their Ultra Personalization process wherein you get to choose 3 products you want, including 2 picks by Ipsy out of the 5 full-size products in your Glam Bag Plus every month, starting on the 2nd at 9 a.m. ET until the 3rd at 6 p.m. ET. This comes with 5 personalized, full-size beauty products like skincare items, perfumes, nail and skin products, and makeup conveniently packed in a themed drawstring bag that varies month to month.
With Ipsy Glam Bag Plus, skincare products are greatly featured. The types of products you could expect from your Ipsy Glam Bag Plus subscription are mostly a mix of skincare products, different kinds of lipsticks or lip care products, eye makeup, face makeup, eyeshadow palettes, and the occasional brow makeup, face palettes, body care products, nail polish, or makeup brushes. Some of the top brands you could get in your Ipsy Glam Bag Plus include Tarte Cosmetics, Verso, Purlisse, AHAVA, Ciate London, Girlactik, Sunday Riley, Illamasqua, Dr. Brandt, Laura Geller, Violet Voss, Murad, Vitabrid, Farsali, QMS, 111Skin, Farsali, Pixi Beauty, Hero Cosmetics, Goldfaden MD, Huda, First Aid Beauty, and more.
In addition, if you’re an Ipsy Glam Bag Plus member with a monthly subscription plan, you are eligible to upgrade to the Ipsy Glam Bag X ($55 every 3 months and valued at up to $350) as a quarterly upgrade that contains 7-8 full-size products (3 of which may be chosen by you during Choice Time) from the trendiest brands, exclusive launches, and celeb-curated picks—considering you haven’t skipped your Ipsy Glam Bag Plus in the same month or prior to Ipsy Glam Bag X’s upgrade month. Ipsy notes that Glam Bag X quantities are limited, but you can reserve your spot while supplies last.
Boxycharm Types of Products and Brands
All active Boxycharm subscribers have the power to choose at least 1 item, including 4 picks by Boxycharm out of the 5 full-size products for their upcoming boxes during the monthly Choice event. This comes with 5 full-size beauty items, which range from makeup and skincare, to beauty tools and color cosmetics. In order to be updated during the Choice event, you must regularly check your personalized Charmer Benefits calendar on the front page of Boxycharm’s website.
With Boxycharm, palettes are heavily featured. The types of products you could expect from your Boxycharm subscription typically consist of eyeshadow palettes, skincare products, different kinds of lipsticks or lip care products, face makeup, eye makeup, face palettes, and once in a while you’ll receive makeup brushes, beauty tools, brow makeup, nail polish, or perfume. Some of the popular brands you could get in your Boxycharm include Pretty Vulgar, Ciate London, Luxie Beauty, Becca, Grace & Stella, Trestique, Morphe, Trestique, GlamGlow, Milk Makeup, Farmacy, Laura Geller, Tarte Cosmetics, Natasha Denona, Earth Harbor, Jouer, OFRA, Saturday Skin, Too Faced, Fenty Beauty, Emma Hardie, Clarins, Marc Jacobs, Sunday Riley, MAC Cosmetics, Morphe x Manny MUA, Glow Recipe, Korres, NARS, Dr. Brandt, Sutra Beauty, and more.
Additionally, if you’re a Boxycharm member with a monthly subscription plan, you can acquire the Boxycharm Luxe ($49.99 every 3 months and valued at up to $395) as a quarterly upgrade with 8-9 full-size items (2 of which may be chosen by you during the Choice event) from luxury brands and hand curated products that you will be billed prior to or during each quarterly shipping month. Boxycharm notes that Boxycharm Luxe is subject to availability, and it depends on your placement on the waitlist.
Ipsy Glam Bag Plus Extras
What really sets Ipsy Glam Bag Plus apart from other beauty boxes is their subscribers get to have a free reusable drawstring bag with each monthly shipment. Your Ipsy Glam Bag Plus will also be shipped in new eco-friendly and 100% recyclable bubble mailers, which help minimize the waste and keep your package secure. Aside from having the option to acquire the limited-edition quarterly upgrade to Ipsy Glam Bag X, Ipsy also allows Glam Bag Plus subscribers to handpick extra items every month and have up to 10 add-ons from a selection of special products available for $3, $12, $18, and $25. Ipsy Glam Bag Plus subscribers can shop add-ons for 24 hours through the Ipsy website on the 2nd of every month until supplies last, score flash sales during Ipsy Flash, or shop for beauty products at up to 70% off through the Ipsy Shopper, and these will be shipped for free along with their Ipsy Glam Bag Plus. Alternatively, Ipsy Glam Bag Plus subscribers can purchase a Mystery Bag, which has 5 full-size surprise items from the previous month’s product selection.
One of the unique features of Boxycharm is they let you find new and creative ways to use their products by providing tutorials and looks shared by their Charmer community on social media. Besides having the option to acquire the quarterly upgrade to Boxycharm Luxe, Boxycharm also has a monthly add-ons event where amazing bonus beauty items that you didn’t choose during the Choice event nor receive in your box variation can be purchased at member-exclusive prices, except during Boxycharm PopUp months. Their add-ons will ship separately from your box, and it may take 1-3 shipments to complete your order. Boxycharm notes that these add-ons are available for a limited time each month and orders are made on a first-come, first-served basis. Additionally, Boxycharm subscribers can enjoy Boxycharm PopUp, which is their biggest shopping event that features beauty products at up to 80% off. The Boxycharm PopUp is exclusively available to active members and only happens every three months. However, the Charm Room where subscribers can redeem reward items using Charms temporarily closes during PopUp and add-ons events, and Charms cannot be applied to PopUp purchases.
LOYALTY AND REWARD PROGRAMS
Ipsy Glam Bag Plus Loyalty and Reward Programs
Ipsy Glam Bag Plus subscribers are offered reward points for referring friends, writing a product review, following Ipsy creators, and reviewing their Ipsy Glam Bag Plus. Here are ways to earn points from Ipsy:
- Refer your friends: Earn 600 Points for every friend who signs up for Ipsy within 24 hours using your unique referral link.
- Write a product review: Earn 15 points to your account for each product you review in your online Glam Bag.
- Follow Ipsy creators: Earn 10 points for every social platform you follow.
- Review your Glam Bag: Earn 10 points each time you review your entire bag experience per month.
You can claim free products in exchange for these points, which will be shipped with your next box.
Boxycharm Loyalty and Reward Programs
Boxycharm refers to their points as “Charms,” and subscribers are offered rewards by shopping on their website, referring friends, and sending feedback on the products they send out. Here are ways to earn points from Boxycharm:
- Keep your Boxycharm subscription: Earn 450 Charms for every three months of staying with their subscription service.
- Refer your friends: Earn 500 Charms for each friend who signs up for Boxycharm through the referral link and/or code provided by them.
- Review your Boxycharm: Earn 50 Charms for every product review or an overall box review.
You can redeem these Charms through the Charm Room for reward items offered on Boxycharm’s website that will be applied automatically upon checkout.
SKIPPING AND CANCELLING
Skipping and Cancelling for Ipsy Glam Bag Plus
Ipsy lets you skip your membership for the duration you requested, and they’ll be sending you an email reminder before your subscription starts again. Although your Ipsy Glam Bag Plus membership renews automatically, you can cancel through your account page at any time with no hidden fees.
Skipping and Cancelling for Boxycharm
Boxycharm doesn’t allow its subscribers to skip their subscription. Even though your Boxycharm subscription renews automatically, you may cancel your membership through your account at any time without any charges.
Ipsy Glam Bag Plus Customer Service
Ipsy Care tries their best to support you regarding any issues, questions, or suggestions you may have. The best and fastest way to get their response is to send an email at help.ipsy.com or tag them on Twitter at @IPSYCare for them to help you.
Boxycharm Customer Service
Boxycharm aims to address all feedback, comments, requests for technical support, and other communications relating to their website. You may contact them at [email protected] regarding any concerns you may have.
Here’s a quick overview of each box to help you decide better:
PRICING AND PLANS
- If you value getting the most out of your subscription, Ipsy Glam Bag Plus costs as low as $25 per month and $275 for the one-year subscription (each box is worth over $120). Shipping is free throughout the United States.
- If you value getting the most out of your subscription, Boxycharm costs as low as $25 per month and $275 for the one-year subscription (each box is worth over $175). They also offer free shipping inside the contiguous 48 United States.
CUSTOMIZATION AND SIGN UP PROCESS
- If you want to receive personalized beauty items, Ipsy Glam Bag Plus provides products specific to your tastes and preferences. Their sign up process is user-friendly and ensures to gather all the valuable information.
- If you want to receive customized beauty products, Boxycharm offers items aligned with your particular needs. Their sign up process is extremely detailed and ensures that you’ve provided all the important information.
- If you like to experience a box with different themes every month, Ipsy Glam Bag Plus has themed products and beauty bag per month.
- If you like to experience a box with contents that vary month to month, Boxycharm comes with themes each month.
TYPES OF PRODUCTS AND BRANDS
- If you need a box tailored to your preferences, Ipsy Glam Bag Plus includes 5 personalized, full-size beauty products like skincare items, perfumes, nail and skin products, and makeup. Ipsy features many brands that’ll help refresh, reset, and breathe life into your beauty.
- If you need a box according to your liking, Boxycharm contains 5 full-size beauty items, which range from makeup and skincare, to beauty tools and color cosmetics. Boxycharm has partnered with a lot of brands that’ll serve fresh new looks your way.
- If you want to acquire add-ons to your Ipsy Glam Bag Plus box, you can choose from their selection of special products.
- If you want to add bonus beauty items to your Boxycharm box, they offer add-ons that feature their amazing products.
LOYALTY AND REWARD PROGRAMS
- If you love to earn free products, Ipsy offers reward points for subscribers that refer friends, write a product review, follow Ipsy creators, and review their box.
- If you love to earn reward items, Boxycharm provides points or Charms for subscribers that shop on their website, refer friends, and send feedback on the products they send out.
SKIPPING AND CANCELLING
- If you wish to skip or cancel your Ipsy Glam Bag Plus subscription, you can disable it through your account page.
- If you wish to cancel your Boxycharm subscription, you can disable it through your account page. There is no option to skip their subscription plans.
- If you’re looking to find answers to your questions about your Ipsy Glam Bag Plus box, you can reach out to their customer service at help.ipsy.com.
- If you’re looking to find answers to your questions about your Boxycharm box, you can get in touch with their customer service at [email protected]
Still need more info?
- Go to Ipsy Glam Bag Plus Reviews and Boxycharm Reviews for more info!
- Looking for a deal?
Overall, Ipsy Glam Bag Plus and Boxycharm both offer products that match you best. The choice between these two beauty subscription boxes still depends on your tastes and preferences. Ipsy Glam Bag Plus specializes in providing personalized items based on your beauty needs. One the other hand, Boxycharm makes way for you to experience popular and upcoming beauty brands.
Looking for more subscription box showdowns? See all our subscription box comparisons to help you find the best subscription for you!