See our comparisons of these Meal Kit Delivery Subscription Boxes!
- We put Hello Fresh and Home Chef head to head to determine which meal kit delivery subscription box fills your needs.
- Hello Fresh may be ideal for people hoping to improve their cooking skills, while Home Chef might be better for those with limited time preparing meals.
- MORE: Best Meal Kits Subscription Boxes – 2021 Award Winners
- Sign up for the Hello Subscription newsletter to receive great subscription info and deals!
Hello Fresh & Home Chef Comparison
Meal kit delivery subscription boxes make meal preparation easier and much more convenient in the comfort of your own home. These meal kit delivery services send recipes and ingredients that are already prepped and ready for you to cook. But which one fits you better?
By now you may have heard of Hello Fresh. Founded in 2011, Hello Fresh is one of the most popular meal kit providers. They make it possible for anyone to cook quick and healthy meals designed by chefs and nutritionists. Hello Fresh aims to provide households with home-cooked meals that do not require planning and shopping. They also have recently launched Hello Fresh Market, which includes add-ons, breakfast options, ready-to-heat meals, and everyday items.
On the other hand, Home Chef is another meal kit delivery subscription box, which was founded in 2013. They help home cooks save time while enjoying preparing meals. Home Chef is committed to simplifying preparation of meals through their step-by-step recipes and pre-portioned ingredients. Home Chef’s Fresh and Easy is their subsidiary brand, which sends prepped, portioned, and ready-to-cook meals.
Image from our review.
Hello Fresh is a meal kit delivery subscription box. They deliver complete recipes and pre-portioned ingredients right to your door. Hello Fresh subscribers can choose 2 to 5 recipes for 1 or 2 persons and 2 to 4 recipes for 4 people every week.
Get $80 off on your first FIVE boxes + FREE Shipping on your first box! Deal applies automatically, just VISIT AND SUBSCRIBE.
Image from our review.
Home Chef is a meal kit delivery service. They serve perfectly-portioned ingredients and easy-to-follow recipes straight to your door. Home Chef customers can pick 2 to 6 recipes for 2, 4, or 6 people each week.
- Get up to $30 off over your first TWO boxes when you sign up – that’s $15 off each of your first two deliveries! No coupon code needed, just use this link to subscribe.
Now, what do these meal kit delivery services have in common? They both offer meals that cater to several dietary preferences. However, there are still some certain aspects where Hello Fresh and Home Chef differentiate themselves from one another, which will help you make your choice. Here are all the details that will help you decide which meal kit delivery subscription is best for you.
COST AND SHIPPING
In each of these subscription services, the more meals you order, the more you save. Both Hello Fresh and Home Chef’s meals and minimum orders per box are quite similar in price. Hello Fresh has a fixed shipping cost, while Home Chef has varying shipping costs. Both subscriptions allow you to input your zip code upon registration for you to know if they ship to your area.
Hello Fresh Cost and Shipping
Hello Fresh has a minimum weekly order value of $49.96. Their 3 recipes for 2 people per week plan is $53.94 a week, which works out to $8.99 a meal (plus $8.99 shipping fee). Hello Fresh delivers to all states across the continental US, and they are always looking for ways to improve their service.
Home Chef Cost and Shipping
Home Chef has a minimum weekly order value of $49.95. Their 3 recipes for 2 people per week plan is $53.94 a week, which works out to $8.99 a meal (plus $8.99 shipping fee). Currently, Home Chef delivers to 98% of the United States, and their system will let you know if you’re in their delivery zone during the sign up process.
CUSTOMIZATION AND SIGN UP PROCESS
In order to choose the right meal kit delivery subscription box for you, it must reflect your tastes and preferences. Hello Fresh and Home Chef let you pick your meals according to your liking. Both their sign up forms utilized a simple yet straightforward way of acquiring details from customers.
Hello Fresh Customization and Sign Up Process
Hello Fresh lets you customize your meal plan settings based on your dietary needs and preferred number of meals. To join Hello Fresh, new customers will be asked to provide their email address, while returning customers could log in with their existing accounts. Then, they’ll ask you to choose your dietary preference and a subscription plan.
Once you’ve selected your meal plan, they’ll ask you to register with your email address, fill out your delivery address, pick a delivery date, and add your delivery instructions (e.g., “Leave at front door”).
Upon checking out, you’ll be tasked to provide your payment information, which has the credit or debit card and PayPal as the options. After you’ve placed your order, you can finally select your desired meals.
Home Chef Customization and Sign Up Process
Home Chef allows you to personalize your menu selections according to your preferences and dietary restrictions. When signing up for Home Chef, new customers will be asked to provide their email address, while returning customers could log in with their existing accounts. Next, they’ll ask you to pick a subscription plan.
After you’ve chosen your meal plan, they’ll ask you to fill out your shipping information and schedule your first delivery date. Upon checking out, you’ll be tasked to set up your payment, which has the credit and PayPal as the options. Finally, you can proceed to add meals to your cart.
In addition, Home Chef has a “Customize It” feature wherein you can upgrade, swap, or double up your favorite protein on certain recipes. Home Chef notes that this feature is limited to select meals.
MENU AND MEAL PLANS
Both Hello Fresh and Home Chef have menus with plenty of options to choose from. Hello Fresh has 27-plus delicious recipes available per week, while Home Chef comes with over 30-plus yummy recipes weekly (including Home Chef’s Fresh and Easy meal plans). Hence, both services ensure that you are getting the best value for your money and not the same recipes all the time.
Hello Fresh Menu and Meal Plans
With Hello Fresh, you’ll have 27-plus different recipes to choose from every week that feature their Meat & Veggies, Veggie, Family Friendly, Calorie Smart, Quick and Easy, and Pescatarian options, including Add-Ons such as breakfast egg bites, caprese sandos, avocados, chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal, beef tenderloin, chicken breast, carrots, peanut butter, buns, ground beef, and more. Hello Fresh gives you the option to choose if you want to receive 2 to 5 recipes for 1 or 2 persons and 2 to 4 recipes for 4 people each week. They have a maximum of 16 servings per week, which could fit larger households.
Here are some of Hello Fresh’s menu options:
- When Steak Met Potatoes and Creamed Kale with Peppercorn Sauce. This gluten-free recipe of steak and potatoes with creamed veggies and a peppercorn sauce is perfect for cooking a date-night dinner for a loved one (allergens: milk).
- Hearty Steak and Potatoes with Balsamic-Cranberry Pan Sauce. This gluten-free recipe of cabbage, potatoes, and cranberry sauce that adorns the steak has splashes of balsamic vinegar and soy sauce (allergens: soy and wheat).
- Mozzarella-Crusted Chicken with Blistered Tomatoes and Potato Wedges. This recipe of herbs, breadcrumbs, and mozzarella piled up onto a chicken to create a glorious crust with roasted tomatoes and crispy potatoes is a new take on chicken Parmesan (allergens: milk and wheat).
- Rapid Stir-Fried Beef and Broccoli. This rapid and spicy recipe of Asian-style stir-fried noodles with the classic combo of beef and broccoli is dressed in a savory soy and hoisin-based sauce (allergens: soy, wheat, and eggs).
- Ginger Beef Stir-Fry with Snappy Asparagus. This gluten-free recipe of tender beef and crisp, springy asparagus is stir-fried with ginger and served over a steamy basmati rice (allergens: soy and wheat).
- Butter-Basted Sirloin Steak with Parsnip Wedges and Creamed Spinach. This gluten-free recipe of sirloin steak basted in butter, garlic, and herbs with roasted parsnip wedges and tender spinach coated in sour cream is your route to rich flavor with little effort (allergens: milk).
- New York Strip Steak with Truffled Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans Almandine. This gluten-free recipe of a good steak dressed in simple pan sauce with green beans and truffled mashed potatoes is your ticket to a satisfied appetite (allergens: tree nuts and milk).
- Sage-Butter Pork Chops with Roasted Broccolini and Citrusy Potato Salad. This gluten-free recipe of lemony potato salad topped with perfectly seared pork chops plus roasted broccolini is a luxurious meal simple enough to cook (allergens: milk).
- Winner Winner Chicken Orzo Dinner with Cheesy Roasted Zucchini and Tomato. This recipe of herbed chicken breast and lemony orzo with cheesy roasted zucchini and tomato is a flavorful light meal (allergens: wheat and milk).
- Balsamic Chicken Rustico with Provencal Roasted Roots Veggies. This gluten-free recipe of chicken breasts and veggies is coated in a sticky and sweet balsamic sauce (allergens: milk).
- Creamy Shrimp Tagliatelle with Heirloom Tomatoes, Garlic, and Chili. This spicy recipe of fresh shrimp tagliatelle with heirloom tomatoes can be cooked tenderly in a matter of minutes (allergens: shellfish, eggs, wheat, and milk).
- Parmesan-Crusted Cod with Herbed Potatoes and Carrots. This recipe of elegant cod fish fillets is paired with herbed potatoes and carrots (allergens: fish, wheat, and milk).
Here are some of Hello Fresh’s add-ons:
- Spinach & Feta Egg Bite. This on-the-go breakfast contains fluffy sous-vide egg bites loaded with spinach and feta (allergens: eggs and milk).
- Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies. This easy recipe includes yummy chocolate chip cookie dough that can simply be baked until golden brown (allergens: eggs, soy, and wheat).
- Peanut Butter. This peanut butter spread is a pantry essential that’s perfect for snacking and baking (allergens: peanuts).
- Brioche Buns. This fresh-baked and buttery brioche buns is a great addition to any meal that could use some bread (allergens: milk, wheat, eggs, and soy).
Home Chef Menu and Meal Plans
At Home Chef, you’ll have 30-plus balanced recipes to choose from each week that feature their carb-conscious, calorie-conscious, and vegetarian selections from their Easy Prep Meal Kits, 15 Minute Meal Kits, and Meal Kits, including more options from Home Chef’s Extras like dessert, bread, breakfast, pizza, salad, and protein and Fresh and Easy no prep meals such as Fast & Fresh, Oven Ready, Grill Ready, 15 Minute Meal Kits, and Entrée Salad. Home Chef gives you the option to choose if you want to receive 2 to 6 recipes for 2, 4, or 6 people every week. They have a maximum of 36 servings per week, which could suit larger families.
Here are some of Home Chef’s menu options:
- Scallops and Truffle Cream with Parmesan Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts. This calorie-conscious recipe of roasted veggies topped with tender, sweet scallops is dressed in cheesy truffle cream (allergens: milk and shellfish).
- Honey-Ginger Salmon with Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Bok Choy. This recipe has salmon coated in sticky sweetness of honey-ginger sauce and sweet potatoes with Sriracha-mayonnaise plus veggies (allergens: eggs, fish, and soy).
- Mozzarella and Mushroom-Stuffed Chicken with Roasted Broccoli and Red Peppers. This recipe features cheesy mozzarella and umami mushrooms rolled into a juicy chicken dressed in pesto sauce plus roasted broccoli and red bell peppers (allergens: milk).
- Steak with Sauce Robert and Spinach Scalloped Potatoes. This recipe comes with sirloin steaks coated in delightful sauce with tender spinach scalloped potatoes (allergens: milk).
- Shrimp and Creamy Tarragon Campanelle with Mushrooms and Shallots. This calorie-conscious recipe consists of shrimp, mushrooms, and shallots combined with creamy and lemony tarragon campanelle pasta (allergens: milk, wheat, and shellfish).
- Baked Chicken Parmesan with Asparagus. This carb-conscious and calorie-conscious recipe includes a crispy baked chicken parmesan topped with flavorful marinara and mozzarella plus tender and lemony asparagus (allergens: milk and wheat).
- Spicy Green Chili Chicken Thigh Tostadas with Corn and Cheddar Cheese. This recipe contains crunchy tostadas topped with tender chicken, sweet corn, cheddar cheese, green onions, green chili aioli, and green hatch chiles (allergens: milk, eggs, and wheat).
- Grilled Pork Chop with Whole Grain Dijon Sauce with Red Potatoes and Green Beans. This calorie-conscious recipe consists of grilled pork chop paired with whole grain Dijon mustard sauce plus roasted red potatoes and green beans.
- Sweet Chili Ginger Chicken Lettuce Cups with Pickled Carrots and Roasted Peanuts. This carb-conscious and calorie-conscious recipe has lettuce cups filled with pickled carrots, shredded red cabbage, roasted peanuts, and ground chicken coated in pickled ginger and sweet chili (allergens: peanuts and soy).
- Crispy Portobello Parmesan with Sun-Dried Tomato Cream. This vegetarian recipe includes a mound of spaghetti and sun-dried tomato pesto sauce topped with crunchy and flavorful portobello mushrooms coated in flour and panko (allergens: milk and wheat).
- Spicy Chile Cauliflower and Poblano Enchiladas with Chipotle Pepper Sauce. This calorie-conscious and vegetarian recipe features fresh cauliflower, cumin rub, and spicy yet flavorful poblanos wrapped in flour tortilla and topped with chipotle pepper sauce (allergens: milk and wheat).
- One-Pan Beef Shepherd’s Pie. This calorie-conscious recipe contains ground beef, carrot and celery blend, peas, and cheese topped evenly with mashed potatoes (allergens: milk).
Here are some of Home Chef’s extras:
- Chocolate Lava Cake with Molten Chocolate Center. This vegetarian dessert is a perfectly portioned and delectable treat (allergens: milk, eggs, wheat, and soy).
- Three Cheese Asiago – Demi Loaf. This scrumptious bread can simply be preheated in minutes and prepared easily (allergens: milk and wheat).
- Banana Bread Slice with Walnut topping. This vegetarian and yummy breakfast is the perfect way to start your morning (allergens: eggs, wheat, soy, and tree nuts).
- Premium Protein Pack. This protein pack includes 2 ribeyes, 4 salmon fillets, 3 mahi-mahi fillets, and 2 antibiotic-free chicken breasts (allergens: fish).
INGREDIENTS AND DIETARY RESTRICTIONS
Finding the right meal kit delivery service that meets your special dietary needs can be really challenging. Fortunately, Hello Fresh and Home Chef accommodate a variety of dietary preferences. Both subscriptions let you easily find recipes that work for you, which also have a full list of ingredients and nutrition facts that you can check out if you have specific requirements or concerns.
Hello Fresh Ingredients and Dietary Restrictions
Hello Fresh’s ingredients are responsibly sourced from suppliers to their production facilities. They keep recipes seasonal and prepare ingredients in appropriate portions to avoid food waste. While Hello Fresh contains various meal choices each week, they do not offer gluten-free, dairy-free, or nut-free meals (unless labeled as such). Hello Fresh’s chef-created meals range from 600 to 900 calories, and they also offer tons of vegetarian and pescatarian options.
Home Chef Ingredients and Dietary Restrictions
Home Chef’s ingredients are sourced from different suppliers depending on what meals are currently being featured. Through Home Chef’s Customize It feature, they allow you to swap plant-based proteins in meals that contain meat by default. Home Chef also offers nut-free, soy-free, wheat-free, and milk-free recipes, and they let you indicate if you’d like to avoid pork, beef, poultry, fish, shellfish, mushrooms, tree nuts, or peanuts. Home Chef’s calorie-conscious meals range from 400 to 600 calories, and they also provide vegetarian meals that occasionally qualify as vegan.
PACKAGING AND SHELF LIFE
When it comes to delivering perishable food to customers, it is of great importance that the meals arrive in their best conditions. Hello Fresh and Home Chef both guarantee that their meals are packaged properly to ensure that the food and ingredients remain insulated as all products have a certain shelf life. Both services make use of recyclable and eco-friendly materials for their delivery boxes to help minimize the waste and keep your package secure.
Hello Fresh Packaging and Shelf Life
Hello Fresh’s recipes are delivered complete with pre-portioned ingredients designed by chefs and nutritionists. Their meals arrive protected in a recyclable box and everything comes in its own bag (with the exception of raw meat). All items are sealed and marked, and there is a divider between the fresh food and the meat packs. There are reusable ice packs on top of the raw meat to keep it cold. Hello Fresh also has instructions that have visuals of what’s included in the box, which are easy to follow even for inexperienced cooks. Upon receiving your box, Hello Fresh advises to place all perishable items in the refrigerator right away to maintain freshness. Hello Fresh recommends keeping all proteins frozen until a few hours before you want to cook them. Once thawed, the meat must be used within 5 days, and the seafood must be used within 2 days.
Home Chef Packaging and Shelf Life
Home Chef’s easy-to-follow recipes are served with perfectly-portioned ingredients. All of Home Chef’s boxes and dividers are made from partially recycled cardboard and are curbside recyclable. Their insulated PET liners are made of recycled cotton and denim. Meanwhile, the ice packs are non-toxic as they’re made from water and sodium salt only. The ingredients come in separate bags, but no worries because they can be recycled as well. Home Chef provides a photo of the dish along with a list of all the ingredients. They also list the items that are already included in the box, the items that you will need from home, and the recommended number of days that the meals should be cooked within after delivery. Home Chef notes that the meat and seafood should be stored in the refrigerator or freezer, and they recommend cooking the fish first to retain its freshness.
SKIPPING AND CANCELLING
Skipping and Cancelling for Hello Fresh
At Hello Fresh, you can always make changes to your subscription when you need to. They let you skip a delivery week or cancel your subscription through your account page at any time. Hello Fresh notes that this must be done by 11:59pm PST, 5 days prior to your next scheduled delivery, so they can alert their suppliers.
Skipping and Cancelling for Home Chef
With Home Chef, you can easily manage your deliveries with their flexible subscription service. They allow you to skip a delivery or cancel your subscription through your account page at any time. Home Chef notes that this should be made by 12pm CT on the Friday prior to your scheduled delivery day.
Hello Fresh Customer Service
Hello Fresh is there to help you with your requests in any way they can. They give you the option to chat with them at hellofresh.com/contact-page/chat, call them at (646) 846-3663, report an ingredient or recipe error at hellofresh.com/contact-page/self-report, or email them at [email protected] Alternatively, you can find an answer to your queries by checking out their frequently asked questions (FAQs).
Home Chef Customer Service
Home Chef would love to hear from you regarding any comments, questions, or suggestions you may have. Home Chef’s customer service hours are Monday to Friday from 9am to 6pm CST and Saturday from 10am to 2pm CST. Within those hours, you have the option to call them at 872-225-2433, submit a request at support.homechef.com, or email them at [email protected] One of their Home Chef team members will respond to you as soon as they can.
Here’s a quick overview of each box to help you decide better:
COST AND SHIPPING
- If you’re looking to try an affordable meal kit delivery subscription box, Hello Fresh’s recipes start at $49.96 per week (plus $8.99 shipping fee). They deliver to all states across the continental US.
- If you’re looking for a meal kit delivery service with low minimum order per box, Home Chef’s recipes start at $49.95 per week (plus $8.99 shipping fee). They currently deliver to 98% of the United States.
CUSTOMIZATION AND SIGN UP PROCESS
- If you want to receive personalized recipes, Hello Fresh lets you customize your meal plan settings based on your dietary needs and preferred number of meals. Their sign up process is user-friendly and the steps are easy to follow.
- If you want to receive customized recipes, Home Chef allows you to personalize your menu selections according to your preferences and dietary restrictions. Their sign up process is simple and straight to the point when dealing with customers.
MENU AND MEAL PLANS
- If you value getting the most out of your subscription, Hello Fresh has 27-plus different recipes to choose from every week that feature their Meat & Veggies, Veggie, Family Friendly, Calorie Smart, Quick and Easy, and Pescatarian options. They give you the option to choose if you want to receive 2 to 5 recipes for 1 or 2 persons and 2 to 4 recipes for 4 people each week.
- If you like to experience an extensive selection of meals, Home Chef comes with 30-plus balanced recipes to choose from each week that feature their carb-conscious, calorie-conscious, and vegetarian selections from their Easy Prep Meal Kits, 15 Minute Meal Kits, and Meal Kits, including more options from Home Chef‘s Fresh and Easy no prep meals. They give you the option to choose if you want to receive 2 to 6 recipes for 2, 4, or 6 people every week.
INGREDIENTS AND DIETARY RESTRICTIONS
- If you need a box that is aligned with your eating habits, Hello Fresh’s chef-created meals range from 600 to 900 calories, and they also offer tons of vegetarian and pescatarian options.
- If you need a box that is tailored to your eating style, Home Chef’s calorie-conscious meals range from 400 to 600 calories, and they also provide vegetarian meals that occasionally qualify as vegan.
PACKAGING AND SHELF LIFE
- If you prefer environment-friendly boxes, Hello Fresh’s packaging is recyclable and reusable. They recommend keeping all proteins frozen until a few hours before you want to cook them.
- If you prefer eco-friendly boxes, Home Chef’s packaging is recyclable. They include the recommended number of days that the meals should be cooked within after delivery.
SKIPPING AND CANCELLING
- If you wish to skip or cancel your Hello Fresh subscription, you can disable it through your account page.
- If you wish to skip or cancel your Home Chef subscription, you can disable it through your account page.
- If you’re looking to find answers to your questions about your Hello Fresh box, you can reach out to their customer service at [email protected]
- If you’re looking to find answers to your questions about your Home Chef box, you can get in touch with their customer service at [email protected]
Overall, Hello Fresh and Home Chef both offer meals that suit several dietary preferences. What subscription service you like better will ultimately come down to the quantity of meals you need. Hello Fresh makes way for people to cook nutritionally balanced meals quickly and easily. On the other hand, Home Chef simplifies preparing meals that fit your changing tastes and schedule.
Still need more info?
- Read Hello Fresh Reviews and Home Chef Reviews to see previously featured recipes!
- Looking for a deal?
- Hello Fresh: Get $80 off on your first FIVE boxes + FREE Shipping on your first box! Deal applies automatically, just VISIT AND SUBSCRIBE.
- Home Chef: Get up to $30 off over your first TWO boxes when you sign up – that’s $15 off each of your first two deliveries! No coupon code needed, just use this link to subscribe.
Looking for more subscription box showdowns? See all our subscription box comparisons to help you find the best subscription for you!