See our comparisons of these Beauty Subscription Boxes!
- We put Glossybox and Ipsy Glam Bag Plus head to head to determine which beauty subscription box is right for you.
- Glossybox offers an expert-approved assortment of beauty products, while Ipsy Glam Bag Plus provides a variety of customized items.
- MORE: Best Beauty Subscription Boxes of 2021!
- Sign up for the Hello Subscription newsletter to receive great subscription info and deals!
Glossybox & Ipsy Glam Bag Plus Comparison
Everybody loves to receive gifts. Whether it’s for yourself or for your family and friends, you can never go wrong with beauty subscription boxes. But which one meets your needs?
Founded in 2011, Glossybox is an online subscription service for monthly sent beauty samples. From their deluxe-sized items of hand-selected skincare, hair care, makeup, nail products, teeth whitening products, and accessories, Glossybox prides themselves on providing surprises for their customers every month. Their premium products are beautifully wrapped, making it an amazing treat for you or your loved ones. Glossybox subscribers can opt for limited-edition boxes to get specially curated and luxurious beauty treats.
Ipsy, on the other hand, was founded in 2011 out of the YouTube beauty movement. Since then, they have brought inspiration towards their subscribers around the world to express each of their unique beauty. They provide skincare items, perfumes, nail and skin products, and makeup based on your preferences. Ipsy Glam Bag subscribers can upgrade to Ipsy Glam Bag Plus or Ipsy Glam Bag X to receive full-size items.
Image from our review.
Glossybox is a subscription service, which delivers 5-6 handpicked beauty products (at least 1 full-size item) straight to your door each month. This includes skincare, hair care, makeup, nail products, teeth whitening products, and accessories.
Now, what do these beauty subscription services have in common? They both offer products based on your tastes and preferences. If you’re looking for beauty boxes that will introduce you to different brands and items every single month at discounted prices, you’ve come to the right place. Here are all the details that will help you decide which beauty subscription matches you best.
PRICING AND PLANS
Glossybox Pricing and Plans
If affordability is your main consideration when weighing one beauty subscription box against another, Glossybox is the more budget-friendly option. Glossybox assures a value of at least $60 per box. Although both boxes offer lower monthly costs to subscribers who sign up for longer plans, Glossybox subscription boxes are still cheaper than Ipsy Glam Bag Plus. Glossybox’s monthly subscription plan costs $21 per box. Glossybox offers free shipping within the United States, and Canada has a shipping fee of $5.
Ipsy Glam Bag Plus Pricing and Plans
Even though both give out savings to subscribers who sign up for longer-term subscriptions, Ipsy Glam Bag Plus is a little more pricey than Glossybox. Nonetheless, Ipsy Glam Bag Plus promises a value of at least $120-plus per box. Ipsy Glam Bag Plus’ monthly subscription plan costs $25 per box. Ipsy Glam Bag Plus has free shipping throughout the United States, and Canada will be charged an extra $2.95 per month in shipping.
In each of these beauty subscription boxes, subscribers get to save more money by acquiring multiple month subscription plans. Glossybox and Ipsy Glam Bag Plus both offer free shipping in the United States and provide discounts for longer commitments. Value-wise, both boxes give you more than what you pay for, but Glossybox’s subscription plans are still lower-cost.
CUSTOMIZATION AND SIGN UP PROCESS
There are many things to consider when it comes to choosing the beauty subscription box that fills your beauty needs. Glossybox lets you set up your Beauty Profile and shop according to your skin type for them to find the best products for you, while Ipsy Glam Bag Plus includes a Beauty Quiz that’ll help them tailor a box specific to your needs. Both subscriptions have a sign up process that is user-friendly and their steps are easy to follow.
Glossybox Customization and Sign Up Process
To join Glossybox, you’ll only have to accomplish a few simple steps. Mainly, they’ll ask you to pick a subscription plan from their Pay Monthly and Pay Upfront options.
After providing your email, you can sign up to Glossybox’s newsletter in order to receive exclusive beauty offers, access to limited-edition boxes, and the latest beauty news straight to your inbox.
Once you have successfully subscribed to Glossybox, you’ll begin to have access to your Beauty Profile where you can take a brief quiz, which will help them customize your box contents by carefully selecting products and brands that will match your beauty needs. They’ll ask you to provide information like the condition of your hair and skin.
Ipsy Glam Bag Plus Customization and Sign Up Process
When you sign up for Ipsy Glam Bag Plus, you’ll start by answering questions that will help them personalize a box just for you. They’ll ask you to provide information like your skin tone, your eye or hair color, and the beauty brands you love.
Then, you’ll be asked to choose which type of subscription you want to acquire. Also, you can opt in to receive emails from Ipsy to get updates about their special offers, sneak peeks, and more delivered directly to your inbox. This newsletter will serve as your daily preview of the must-see events from Ipsy.
Glossybox Monthly Themes
Even though Glossybox doesn’t always come with a stated theme each month, their boxes still serve fresh new looks every month. Glossybox’s past boxes featured themes such as “All Eyes On Me,” “Wild Side,” “World Of Beauty,” “Aloha,” “Glossy Spa,” “A Very Glossy Fairytale, “Makeup & Magic,” “Best Time Of The Year,” “The Power Of Beauty,” “Sing, Dance, Love, Repeat!,” and “Pretty Pleasures.” Their items are also hand wrapped within their signature pink box, which is aesthetically pleasing.
Ipsy Glam Bag Plus Monthly Themes
One of the perks of Ipsy Glam Bag Plus is subscribers get to experience different themes every month with the boxes they receive. Also, their beauty bag is always designed to each month’s theme. Some of the themes Ipsy has previously used include “Wild Side,” “Clean Slate,” “Feel The Love,” “Celebrate You,” “Full Bloom,” “Get That Glow,” “Take A Break,” “The Future Is Yours,” “Good Vibes,” “You’re Magic,” “Be Present,” and “Home For The Holidays.”
TYPES OF PRODUCTS AND BRANDS
Glossybox Types of Products and Brands
Glossybox has a team of cosmetic experts that carefully select beauty products for you to try each month. Each box contains 5-6 handpicked premium beauty products (at least 1 full-size item) featuring skincare, hair care, makeup, nail products, teeth whitening products, and accessories. In order to keep the anticipation and excitement of their subscribers, Glossybox provides sneak peeks on their website of what products are going to be in the boxes every month.
With Glossybox, skincare products are heavily featured. The types of products you could expect from your Glossybox subscription commonly consist of skincare products, different kinds of lipsticks or lip care products, hair care products, face makeup, eye makeup, beauty tools, and every now and then you’ll receive face palettes, eyeshadow palettes, makeup brushes, nail polish, or perfume. Some of the well-known brands you could get in your Glossybox include Jurlique, Oryza, Luxie Beauty, Universal Beauty, Avant, Contour Cosmetics, John Masters Organics, Mudmasky, BYBI Beauty, Kandi Cosmetics, Bellapiere, Floss Beauty, Avant, Viktor & Rolf, Sunday Riley, Illasmasqua, Tony Moly, Elemis, Eyeko London, Tonymoly, Korres, Bioderma, Caudalie, Banila Co, and more.
Additionally, Glossybox launches members-only limited-edition boxes throughout the year where you can expect exclusive brand collaborations, curated items, and the best beauty buys. Every year, they offer a Holiday Limited Edition box ($30 for subscribers and $35 for nonsubscribers), an Easter Egg Limited Edition Box ($24 for subscribers and $29 for nonsubscribers), a Mother’s Day Limited Edition Box ($30 for subscribers and $35 for nonsubscribers), and an Advent Calendar ($89 for subscribers and $99 for nonsubscribers), which are all ideal for gifting or for treating yourself. Some of their previous limited-edition boxes also included Summer Essentials Limited Edition Box ($30 for subscribers and $35 for nonsubscribers), Rodial Box Limited Edition Box ($30 for subscribers and $35 for nonsubscribers), Black Friday Limited Edition Box ($20 for subscribers and $25 for nonsubscribers), and many more. Just make sure you have signed up to Glossybox’s newsletter to be among the first to hear about their next launches as these sell out fast.
Ipsy Glam Bag Plus Types of Products and Brands
Ipsy Glam Bag Plus is highly dependent on their Ultra Personalization process wherein you get to choose 3 products you want, including 2 picks by Ipsy out of the 5 full-size products in your Glam Bag Plus every month, starting on the 2nd at 9 a.m. ET until the 3rd at 6 p.m. ET. This comes with 5 personalized, full-size beauty products like skincare items, perfumes, nail and skin products, and makeup conveniently packed in a themed drawstring bag that varies month to month.
With Ipsy Glam Bag Plus, skincare products are greatly featured. The types of products you could expect from your Ipsy Glam Bag Plus subscription are mostly a mix of skincare products, different kinds of lipsticks or lip care products, eye makeup, face makeup, eyeshadow palettes, and the occasional brow makeup, face palettes, body care products, nail polish, or makeup brushes. Some of the top brands you could get in your Ipsy Glam Bag Plus include Tarte Cosmetics, Verso, Purlisse, AHAVA, Ciate London, Girlactik, Sunday Riley, Illamasqua, Dr. Brandt, Laura Geller, Violet Voss, Murad, Vitabrid, Farsali, QMS, 111Skin, Farsali, Pixi Beauty, Hero Cosmetics, Goldfaden MD, Huda, First Aid Beauty, and more.
In addition, if you’re an Ipsy Glam Bag Plus member with a monthly subscription plan, you are eligible to upgrade to the Ipsy Glam Bag X ($55 every 3 months and valued at up to $350) as a quarterly upgrade that contains 7-8 full-size products (3 of which may be chosen by you during Choice Time) from the trendiest brands, exclusive launches, and celeb-curated picks—considering you haven’t skipped your Ipsy Glam Bag Plus in the same month or prior to Ipsy Glam Bag X’s upgrade month. Ipsy notes that Glam Bag X quantities are limited, but you can reserve your spot while supplies last.
One of the perks of Glossybox is subscribers get to experience well-designed and unique packaging nearly every month. Aside from having the option to acquire their limited-edition boxes, Glossybox offers the Ready, Set, Glow skincare set (worth $64) available for $24.75 for subscribers (25% discount) and $33 for non-subscribers. The Glossybox skincare set utilizes high-quality ingredients, vegan and cruelty-free formulations, and sustainable packaging. Glossybox subscribers will also have access to sneak peeks, members-only discounts, coupon codes, exclusive offers, beauty trends, and beauty tips. In addition, Glossybox believes that students deserve to reward themselves with beauty treats, hence they are encouraged to take advantage of the student discount of 20% off their first box.
Ipsy Glam Bag Plus Extras
What really sets Ipsy Glam Bag Plus apart from other beauty boxes is their subscribers get to have a free reusable drawstring bag with each monthly shipment. Your Glam Bag Plus will also be shipped in new eco-friendly and 100% recyclable bubble mailers, which help minimize the waste and keep your package secure. Besides having the option to acquire the limited-edition quarterly upgrade to Ipsy Glam Bag X, Ipsy also allows Glam Bag Plus subscribers to handpick extra items every month and have up to 10 add-ons from a selection of special products available for $3, $12, $18, and $25. Ipsy Glam Bag Plus subscribers can shop add-ons for 24 hours through the Ipsy website on the 2nd of every month until supplies last, score flash sales during Ipsy Flash, or shop for beauty products at up to 70% off through the Ipsy Shopper, and these will be shipped for free along with their Ipsy Glam Bag Plus. Alternatively, Ipsy Glam Bag Plus subscribers can purchase a Mystery Bag, which has 5 full-size surprise items from the previous month’s product selection.
LOYALTY AND REWARD PROGRAMS
Glossybox Loyalty and Reward Programs
Glossybox refers to their points as “GlossyCredits,” and subscribers are offered rewards by filling in their beauty profile, referring friends, answering monthly surveys, and reviewing Glossybox products. Here are ways to earn credits from Glossybox:
- Refer a friend: Earn $5, $10, $12, or $15 for every friend that will acquire Glossybox through your unique referral link depending on the subscription plan they choose.
- Complete your beauty profile, a box/product survey, or a box product review: Earn $0.40.
- Complete a brand survey: Earn $0.80.
Once any of the above is completed, your credit will be assigned to your account within the same day and will be redeemable at checkout. Glossybox notes that your accumulated GlossyCredits will only be valid for 12 months.
Ipsy Glam Bag Plus Loyalty and Reward Programs
Ipsy Glam Bag Plus subscribers are offered reward points for referring friends, writing a product review, following Ipsy creators, and reviewing their Ipsy Glam Bag Plus. Here are ways to earn points from Ipsy:
- Refer your friends: Earn 600 Points for every friend who signs up for Ipsy within 24 hours using your unique referral link.
- Write a product review: Earn 15 points to your account for each product you review in your online Glam Bag.
- Follow Ipsy creators: Earn 10 points for every social platform you follow.
- Review your Glam Bag: Earn 10 points each time you review your entire bag experience per month.
You can claim free products in exchange for these points, which will be shipped with your next box.
SKIPPING AND CANCELLING
Skipping and Cancelling for Glossybox
Glossybox subscribers with a monthly subscription plan can cancel their service at any time through the website, and the cancellation will become effective in the following month. You can also cancel your membership by contacting Glossybox’s customer service via phone call or their online message center. However, customers with 3, 6, or 12 month fixed term plans cannot cancel their subscription while the term is still ongoing. Unfortunately, Glossybox doesn’t allow its subscribers to skip any of their subscription plans as well.
Skipping and Cancelling for Ipsy Glam Bag Plus
Ipsy lets you skip your membership for the duration you requested, and they’ll be sending you an email reminder before your subscription starts again. Although your Ipsy membership renews automatically, you can cancel through your account page at any time with no hidden fees.
Glossybox Customer Service
Glossybox refers to their subscribers as the “Glossies,” and they always aim to provide an outstanding level of service that’ll exceed your expectations. They give you the option to find an answer to your queries by checking out their frequently asked questions (FAQs), call them, contact them through their online message centre, or email your comments on their service at [email protected] Their team responds to all inquiries within 1 working day.
Ipsy Glam Bag Plus Customer Service
Ipsy Care tries their best to support you regarding any issues, questions, or suggestions you may have. The best and fastest way to get their response is to send an email at help.ipsy.com or tag them on Twitter at @IPSYCare for them to help you.
Here’s a quick overview of each box to help you decide better:
PRICING AND PLANS
- If you value getting the most out of your subscription, Glossybox costs as low as $21 per month and $210 for the one-year subscription (each box is worth over $60). They also offer free shipping within the United States.
- If you value getting the most out of your subscription, Ipsy Glam Bag Plus costs as low as $25 per month and $275 for the one-year subscription (each box is worth over $120). Shipping is free throughout the United States.
CUSTOMIZATION AND SIGN UP PROCESS
- If you want to receive customized skincare or hair products, Glossybox offers items according to your individual needs. Their sign up process is user-friendly and very straightforward.
- If you want to receive personalized beauty items, Ipsy Glam Bag Plus provides products specific to your tastes and preferences. Their sign up process is extremely detailed and ensures to gather all the valuable information.
- If you like to experience a box with varying monthly themes, Glossybox comes with themed packaging and beauty treats each month.
- If you like to experience a box with different themes every month, Ipsy Glam Bag Plus has themed products and beauty bag per month.
TYPES OF PRODUCTS AND BRANDS
- If you need a box that fits your needs, Glossybox contains 5-6 handpicked beauty products (at least 1 full-size item) such as skincare, hair care, makeup, nail products, teeth whitening products, and accessories. Glossybox has partnered with big name brands that’ll deliver premium items to your door.
- If you need a box tailored to your preferences, Ipsy Glam Bag Plus includes 5 personalized, full-size beauty products like skincare items, perfumes, nail and skin products, and makeup. Ipsy features many brands that’ll help refresh, reset, and breathe life into your beauty.
- If you want to take advantage of Glossybox’s benefits, they offer limited-edition boxes, a skincare set, and student discounts.
- If you want to acquire add-ons to your Ipsy Glam Bag Plus box, you can choose from their selection of special products.
LOYALTY AND REWARD PROGRAMS
- If you love to earn free products, Glossybox provides points or GlossyCredits for subscribers that refer friends, fill in their beauty profile, answer monthly surveys, and review Glossybox products.
- If you love to earn free products, Ipsy offers reward points for subscribers that refer friends, write a product review, follow Ipsy creators, and review their box.
SKIPPING AND CANCELLING
- If you wish to cancel your Glossybox subscription, you can disable it through your account page or ask for their customer service’s assistance. There is no option to skip their subscription plans.
- If you wish to skip or cancel your Ipsy Glam Bag Plus subscription, you can disable it through your account page.
- If you’re looking to find answers to your questions about your Glossybox, you can get in touch with their customer service via phone call or their online message centre. You can also email your comments on their service at [email protected]
- If you’re looking to find answers to your questions about your Ipsy Glam Bag Plus box, you can reach out to their customer service at help.ipsy.com.
Still need more info?
- Browse through GLOSSYBOX Reviews and Ipsy Glambag Plus Reviews for more information.
- Looking for a deal?
Overall, Glossybox and Ipsy Glam Bag Plus both have plenty to offer in terms of beautifying you. What beauty subscription box you like better will ultimately come down to the quantity and size of products you require. Glossybox takes pride in delivering new products for you to try at an affordable price. One the other hand, Ipsy Glam Bag Plus specializes in providing personalized items according to your liking.
Looking for more subscription box showdowns? See all our subscription box comparisons to help you find the best subscription for you!