See our comparisons of these Beauty Subscription Boxes!
- We put Boxycharm and Glossybox head to head to determine which beauty subscription box meets your needs.
- Boxycharm makes way for you to experience popular and upcoming beauty brands, while Glossybox allows you to try new products at a reasonable price.
- MORE: Best Beauty Subscription Boxes of 2021!
- Sign up for the Hello Subscription newsletter for more great subscription info and deals!
Boxycharm vs. Glossybox Comparison
Beauty subscription boxes are an incredible gift for any occasion. These subscription services deliver beauty products at affordable prices as compared to purchasing items individually. But which one is best for you?
You’ve probably heard of Boxycharm. Founded in 2013, Boxycharm has since grown to be one of the most well-known beauty subscription boxes on the market. From their customized box of full-size makeup, skincare, beauty tools, and color cosmetics, Boxycharm surprises you each month with products from popular and upcoming beauty brands. Boxycharm subscribers can upgrade to Boxycharm Premium or Boxycharm Luxe to receive more items. Note that the Boxycharm Luxe upgrade is exclusive to the Boxycharm subscription and is not yet made available for Boxycharm Premium members.
On the other hand, Glossybox is an online subscription service for monthly sent beauty samples, which was founded in 2011. From their deluxe-sized items of hand-selected skincare, hair care, makeup, nail products, teeth whitening products, and accessories, Glossybox prides themselves on providing surprises for their customers every month. Their premium products are beautifully wrapped, making it an amazing treat for you or your loved ones. Glossybox subscribers can opt for limited-edition boxes to get specially curated and luxurious beauty treats.
Image from our review.
Boxycharm is a monthly beauty subscription box. Each box comes with 5 full-size items featuring makeup, skincare, beauty tools, and color cosmetics. Every Boxycharm package aims to bring trending products to subscribers.
Image from our review.
Glossybox is a subscription service, which delivers 5-6 handpicked beauty products (at least 1 full-size item) straight to your door each month. This includes skincare, hair care, makeup, nail products, teeth whitening products, and accessories.
These beauty boxes offer quality items that meet all your beauty needs. Boxycharm and Glossybox are both packed with beauty products that you will look forward to receiving. If you’re looking for beauty boxes that will introduce you to different brands and items every single month at discounted prices, you’ve come to the right place. Here are all the details that will help you choose which beauty subscription fits you the best.
PRICING AND PLANS
Boxycharm Pricing and Plans
Even though both give out savings to subscribers who sign up for longer-term subscriptions, Boxycharm is slightly pricier than Glossybox. Nonetheless, Boxycharm comes with the assurance of delivering an average value of over $175 per box. Boxycharm’s monthly subscription plan costs $25 per box. Boxycharm offers free shipping within the contiguous United States (48 bordering states), while Hawaii, Alaska, all U.S. territories, and Canada have a shipping fee of $5 per box.
Glossybox Pricing and Plans
If affordability is one of your criteria when weighing one beauty subscription box against another, Glossybox is the more budget-friendly option. Glossybox promises a value of at least $60 per box. Although both boxes offer lower monthly costs to subscribers who sign up for longer plans, Glossybox subscription boxes are still cheaper than Boxycharm. Glossybox’s monthly subscription plan costs $21 per box. Glossybox offers free shipping within the United States, and Canada has a shipping fee of $5.
In each of these beauty subscription boxes, subscribers get to save more money by acquiring multiple month subscription plans. Boxycharm and Glossybox both offer free shipping in the United States and provide discounts for longer commitments. Value-wise, both boxes give you more than what you pay for, but Glossybox’s subscription plans are still lower-cost.
CUSTOMIZATION AND SIGN UP PROCESS
When choosing the right beauty subscription box for you, there are a lot of things to be taken into account. Boxycharm includes a Beauty Quiz that’ll help them tailor a box specific to your needs, while Glossybox lets you set up your Beauty Profile and shop according to your skin type for them to find the best products for you. Both subscriptions have a sign up process that is user-friendly and their steps are easy to follow.
Boxycharm Customization and Sign Up Process
To join Boxycharm, you’ll have to answer questions about yourself for them to get to know you a little better. Primarily, they’ll ask you to pick a subscription plan.
Once your order has been placed, you’ll be taken to the Boxycharm Beauty Quiz to help them get an idea of what you’re into. This quiz is basically insignificant and has little to do with the items that you’ll receive.
Finally, you can subscribe to Boxycharm’s exclusive email list for early sneak peeks, special promotions, and exciting giveaways. You can also sign up for their text message to receive free alerts for early sneak peeks and special promotions.
Glossybox Customization and Sign Up Process
To join Glossybox, you’ll only have to accomplish a few simple steps. Mainly, they’ll ask you to pick a subscription plan from their Pay Monthly and Pay Upfront options.
After providing your email, you can sign up to Glossybox’s newsletter in order to receive exclusive beauty offers, access to limited-edition boxes, and the latest beauty news straight to your inbox.
Once you have successfully subscribed to Glossybox, you’ll begin to have access to your Beauty Profile where you can take a brief quiz, which will help them customize your box contents by carefully selecting products and brands that will match your beauty needs. They’ll ask you to provide information like the condition of your hair and skin.
Boxycharm Monthly Themes
Boxycharm always has a theme each month, and their items serve fresh new looks every month. Boxycharm’s past boxes featured themes such as “Breaking The Ice,” “Festival Vibes,” “Mother Nature,” “Harvest,” “Fresh Start,” “Lucky,” and “Sweet Treats.” Their box contents also include tips related to the month’s theme, season, or holiday, which makes the unboxing experience for subscribers all the more enjoyable.
Glossybox Monthly Themes
Even though Glossybox doesn’t always come with a stated theme each month, their boxes still serve fresh new looks every month. Glossybox’s past boxes featured themes such as “All Eyes On Me,” “Wild Side,” “World Of Beauty,” “Aloha,” “Glossy Spa,” “A Very Glossy Fairytale, “Makeup & Magic,” “Best Time Of The Year,” “The Power Of Beauty,” “Sing, Dance, Love, Repeat!,” and “Pretty Pleasures.” Their items are also hand wrapped within their signature pink box, which is aesthetically pleasing.
TYPES OF PRODUCTS AND BRANDS
Boxycharm Types of Products and Brands
All active Boxycharm subscribers have the power to choose at least 1 item, including 4 picks by Boxycharm out of the 5 full-size products for their upcoming boxes during the monthly Choice event. This comes with 5 full-size beauty items, which range from makeup and skincare, to beauty tools and color cosmetics. In order to be updated during the Choice event, you must regularly check your personalized Charmer Benefits calendar on the front page of Boxycharm’s website.
With Boxycharm, palettes are heavily featured. The types of products you could expect from your Boxycharm subscription typically consist of eyeshadow palettes, skincare products, different kinds of lipsticks or lip care products, face makeup, eye makeup, face palettes, and once in a while you’ll receive makeup brushes, beauty tools, brow makeup, nail polish, or perfume. Some of the popular brands you could get in your Boxycharm include Pretty Vulgar, Ciate London, Luxie Beauty, Becca, Grace & Stella, Trestique, Morphe, Trestique, GlamGlow, Milk Makeup, Farmacy, Laura Geller, Tarte Cosmetics, Natasha Denona, Earth Harbor, Jouer, OFRA, Saturday Skin, Too Faced, Fenty Beauty, Emma Hardie, Clarins, Marc Jacobs, Sunday Riley, MAC Cosmetics, Morphe x Manny MUA, Glow Recipe, Korres, NARS, Dr. Brandt, Sutra Beauty, and more.
Additionally, if you’re a Boxycharm member with a monthly subscription plan, you can acquire the Boxycharm Luxe ($49.99 every 3 months and valued at up to $395) as a quarterly upgrade with 8-9 full-size items (2 of which may be chosen by you during the Choice event) from luxury brands and hand curated products that you will be billed prior to or during each quarterly shipping month. Boxycharm notes that Boxycharm Luxe is subject to availability, and it depends on your placement on the waitlist.
Glossybox Types of Products and Brands
Glossybox has a team of cosmetic experts that carefully select beauty products for you to try each month. Each box contains 5-6 handpicked premium beauty products (at least 1 full-size item) featuring skincare, hair care, makeup, nail products, teeth whitening products, and accessories. In order to keep the anticipation and excitement of their subscribers, Glossybox provides sneak peeks on their website of what products are going to be in the boxes every month.
With Glossybox, skincare products are greatly featured. The types of products you could expect from your Glossybox subscription commonly consist of skincare products, different kinds of lipsticks or lip care products, hair care products, face makeup, eye makeup, beauty tools, and every now and then you’ll receive face palettes, eyeshadow palettes, makeup brushes, nail polish, or perfume. Some of the well-known brands you could get in your Glossybox include Jurlique, Oryza, Luxie Beauty, Universal Beauty, Avant, Contour Cosmetics, John Masters Organics, Mudmasky, BYBI Beauty, Kandi Cosmetics, Bellapiere, Floss Beauty, Avant, Viktor & Rolf, Sunday Riley, Illasmasqua, Tony Moly, Elemis, Eyeko London, Tonymoly, Korres, Bioderma, Caudalie, Banila Co, and more.
In addition, Glossybox launches members-only limited-edition boxes throughout the year where you can expect exclusive brand collaborations, curated items, and the best beauty buys. Every year, they offer a Holiday Limited Edition box ($30 for subscribers and $35 for nonsubscribers), an Easter Egg Limited Edition Box ($24 for subscribers and $29 for nonsubscribers), a Mother’s Day Limited Edition Box ($30 for subscribers and $35 for nonsubscribers), and an Advent Calendar ($89 for subscribers and $99 for nonsubscribers), which are all ideal for gifting or for treating yourself. Some of their previous limited-edition boxes also included Summer Essentials Limited Edition Box ($30 for subscribers and $35 for nonsubscribers), Rodial Box Limited Edition Box ($30 for subscribers and $35 for nonsubscribers), Black Friday Limited Edition Box ($20 for subscribers and $25 for nonsubscribers), and many more. Just make sure you have signed up to Glossybox’s newsletter to be among the first to hear about their next launches as these sell out fast.
One of the most notable features of Boxycharm is they let you find new and creative ways to use their products by providing tutorials and looks shared by their Charmer community on social media. Besides having the option to acquire the quarterly upgrade to Boxy Luxe, Boxycharm also has a monthly add-ons event where amazing bonus beauty items that you didn’t choose during the Choice event nor receive in your box variation can be purchased at member-exclusive prices, except during Boxycharm PopUp months. Their add-ons will ship separately from your box, and it may take 1-3 shipments to complete your order. Boxycharm notes that these add-ons are available for a limited time each month and orders are made on a first-come, first-served basis. Additionally, Boxycharm subscribers can enjoy Boxycharm PopUp, which is their biggest shopping event that features beauty products at up to 80% off. The Boxycharm PopUp is exclusively available to active members and only happens every three months. However, the Charm Room where subscribers can redeem reward items using Charms temporarily closes during PopUp and add-ons events, and Charms cannot be applied to PopUp purchases.
One of the perks of Glossybox is subscribers get to experience well-designed and unique packaging every month. Aside from having the option to acquire their limited-edition boxes, Glossybox offers the Ready, Set, Glow skincare set (worth $64) available for $24.75 for subscribers (25% discount) and $33 for non-subscribers. The Glossybox skincare set utilizes high-quality ingredients, vegan and cruelty-free formulations, and sustainable packaging. Glossybox subscribers will also have access to sneak peeks, members-only discounts, coupon codes, exclusive offers, beauty trends, and beauty tips. In addition, Glossybox believes that students deserve to reward themselves with beauty treats, hence they are encouraged to take advantage of the student discount of 20% off their first box.
LOYALTY AND REWARD PROGRAMS
Boxycharm Loyalty and Reward Programs
Boxycharm refers to their points as “Charms,” and subscribers are offered rewards by shopping on their website, referring friends, and sending feedback on the products they send out. Here are ways to earn points from Boxycharm:
- Keep your Boxycharm subscription: Earn 450 Charms for every three months of staying with their subscription service.
- Refer your friends: Earn 500 Charms for each friend who signs up for Boxycharm through the referral link and/or code provided by them.
- Review your Boxycharm: Earn 50 Charms for every product review or an overall box review.
You can redeem these Charms through the Charm Room for reward items offered on Boxycharm’s website that will be applied automatically upon checkout.
Glossybox Loyalty and Reward Programs
Glossybox refers to their points as “GlossyCredits,” and subscribers are offered rewards by filling in their beauty profile, referring friends, answering monthly surveys, and reviewing Glossybox products. Here are ways to earn credits from Glossybox:
- Refer a friend: Earn $5, $10, $12, or $15 for every friend that will acquire Glossybox through your unique referral link depending on the subscription plan they choose.
- Complete your beauty profile, a box/product survey, or a box product review: Earn $0.40.
- Complete a brand survey: Earn $0.80.
Once any of the above is completed, your credit will be assigned to your account within the same day and will be redeemable at checkout. Glossybox notes that your accumulated GlossyCredits will only be valid for 12 months.
SKIPPING AND CANCELLING
Skipping and Cancelling for Boxycharm
Boxycharm doesn’t allow its subscribers to skip their subscription. Even though your Boxycharm subscription renews automatically, you may cancel your membership through your account at any time without any charges.
Skipping and Cancelling for Glossybox
Glossybox subscribers with a monthly subscription plan can cancel their service at any time through the website, and the cancellation will become effective in the following month. You can also cancel your membership by contacting Glossybox’s customer service via phone call or their online message centre. However, customers with 3, 6, or 12 month fixed term plans cannot cancel their subscription while the term is still ongoing. Unfortunately, Glossybox doesn’t allow its subscribers to skip any of their subscription plans as well.
Boxycharm Customer Service
Boxycharm aims to address all feedback, comments, requests for technical support, and other communications relating to their website. You may contact them at [email protected] regarding any concerns you may have.
Glossybox Customer Service
Glossybox refers to their subscribers as the “Glossies,” and they always aim to provide an outstanding level of service that’ll exceed your expectations. They give you the option to find an answer to your queries by checking out their frequently asked questions (FAQs), call them, contact them through their online message centre, or email your comments on their service at [email protected] Their team responds to all inquiries within 1 working day.
Here’s a quick overview of each box to help you decide better:
PRICING AND PLANS
- If you value getting the most out of your subscription, Boxycharm costs as low as $25 per month and $275 for the one-year subscription (each box is worth over $175). They also offer free shipping inside the contiguous 48 United States.
- If you value getting the most out of your subscription, Glossybox costs as low as $21 per month and $210 for the one-year subscription (each box is worth over $60). They also offer free shipping within the United States.
CUSTOMIZATION AND SIGN UP PROCESS
- If you want to receive customized beauty products, Boxycharm offers items aligned with your particular needs. Their sign up process is extremely detailed and ensures that you’ve provided all the important information.
- If you want to receive customized skincare or hair products, Glossybox offers items according to your individual needs. Their sign up process is user-friendly and very straightforward.
- If you like to experience a box with contents that vary month to month, Boxycharm comes with themes each month.
- If you like to experience a box with varying monthly themes, Glossybox comes with themed packaging and beauty treats each month.
TYPES OF PRODUCTS AND BRANDS
- If you need a box according to your liking, Boxycharm contains 5 full-size beauty items, which range from makeup and skincare, to beauty tools and color cosmetics. Boxycharm has partnered with a lot of brands that’ll serve fresh new looks your way.
- If you need a box that fits your needs, Glossybox contains 5-6 handpicked beauty products (at least 1 full-size item) such as skincare, hair care, makeup, nail products, teeth whitening products, and accessories. Glossybox has partnered with big name brands that’ll deliver premium items to your door.
- If you want to add bonus beauty items to your Boxycharm box, they offer add-ons that feature their amazing products.
- If you want to take advantage of Glossybox’s benefits, they offer limited-edition boxes, a skincare set, and student discounts.
LOYALTY AND REWARD PROGRAMS
- If you love to earn reward items, Boxycharm provides points or Charms for subscribers that shop on their website, refer friends, and send feedback on the products they send out.
- If you love to earn free products, Glossybox provides points or GlossyCredits for subscribers that refer friends, fill in their beauty profile, answer monthly surveys, and review Glossybox products.
SKIPPING AND CANCELLING
- If you wish to cancel your Boxycharm subscription, you can disable it through your account page. There is no option to skip their subscription plans.
- If you wish to cancel your Glossybox subscription, you can disable it through your account page or ask for their customer service’s assistance. There is no option to skip their subscription plans.
- If you’re looking to find answers to your questions about your Boxycharm box, you can get in touch with their customer service at [email protected]
- If you’re looking to find answers to your questions about your Glossybox, you can reach out to their customer service via phone call or their online message centre. You can also email your comments on their service at [email protected]
Still need more info?
- Go to Boxycharm Reviews and GLOSSYBOX Reviews and see the items they’ve sent us!
- Looking for a deal?
Overall, Boxycharm and Glossybox both have so much to offer in terms of improving your skincare and makeup routines. What beauty subscription box you like better will ultimately come down to the quantity and size of products you require. Boxycharm keeps you up to date with the latest beauty trends and products. On the other hand, Glossybox prides themselves in sending new products for you to try at an affordable price.
Looking for more subscription box showdowns? See all our subscription box comparisons to help you find the best subscription for you!