See our comparisons of these two Dog Subscription Boxes!
- We put BarkBox and Pet Treater head to head to determine which pet subscription box suits your furry friend best.
- BarkBox gives your dog fun items and experiences, while Pet Treater fills your pup’s need for delightful goodies.
- MORE: Best Dog Subscription Boxes for 2021
- Sign up for the Hello Subscription newsletter to receive great subscription info and deals!
BarkBox & Pet Treater Comparison
If truth be told, nobody ever needs an excuse to shower their dog with love through subscription boxes. Pet subscription boxes are just one amazing way for fur parents to reward their pup’s adorable cuteness. But which one fits your dog best?
You must have heard of BarkBox. Founded in 2011, BARK’s BarkBox is now one of the most popular dog subscription boxes that serves over a million pups per month. From their customized box of themed toys, treats, and chews, BarkBox brings in the entertaining fun right to your dog’s door.
On the other hand, Pet Treater is another subscription box for dogs, which was founded in 2014. They offer toys, treats, accessories, and grooming goodies for your pet. All of their products are aimed at giving an enjoyable experience for your fur baby. Depending on your dog’s needs, you can choose between their Pet Treater Dog Pack and Pet Treater Deluxe Dog Pack options.
Image from our review.
BarkBox is a monthly subscription service, which delivers customizable and unique themed items for dogs each month. This includes 2 innovative toys, 2 all-natural bags of treats, and a chew. Every BarkBox aims to bring satisfying toys, healthy treats, and distinctive fun right to your dog’s door.
Image from our review.
Pet Treater is a monthly subscription box for dogs. Pet Treater Dog Pack contains 3-4 quality items, and Pet Treater Deluxe Dog Pack has 5-8 handpicked products, which are all carefully selected for your pet to enjoy. All items included feature a variety of fun toys, treats, and extra goodies.
- (Dog Pack) – Get 10% off your first month! Use coupon code DOGPACK10.
These dog subscription services are packed with quality items that you and your pet will look forward to receiving. BarkBox and Pet Treater both offer toys and treats for your fur baby. If you’re one of the pet owners that are looking for ways to spoil your dog with goodies, you’ve come to the right place. Here are all the details that will help you decide which option is more suitable for your pet.
PRICING AND PLANS
BarkBox Pricing and Plans
Even though both give out savings to subscribers who sign up for longer-term subscriptions, BarkBox is slightly more expensive than Pet Treater. Both subscription boxes ship to the United States for free. Pet Treater doesn’t offer international shipping, whereas BarkBox has a fee of $8 when shipping to Canada, Hawaii, and Alaska. BarkBox’s subscription plans cost:
- $35 per month for the one-month subscription.
- $26 per month or $156 in total for the six-month subscription.
- $23 per month or $276 in total for the one-year subscription.
Gift boxes are also available:
- $35 for a single box.
- $99 or $33 per box for three boxes.
- $156 or $26 per box for six boxes.
- $276 or $23 per box for twelve boxes.
- BarkBox has free shipping in the contiguous United States, and sales tax may apply, while Hawaii, Alaska, and Canada have a shipping fee of $8.
Pet Treater Pricing and Plans
If you value budget when choosing the right subscription service for your dog, Pet Treater is the more affordable option. Although both boxes offer lower monthly costs to subscribers who sign up for longer plans, Pet Treater subscription boxes are still cheaper than BarkBox. Pet Treater provides quality items that won’t break your wallet, and you have the option to choose between their Dog Pack or Deluxe Dog Pack subscription types. Pet Treater offers free shipping to the lower 48 states of the USA, and they don’t ship internationally.
Pet Treater Dog Pack’s subscription plans cost:
- $17 for the “Try It Out Now” option.
- $15 for the monthly renewal subscription.
- $45 for the renewal every three months subscription.
- $90 for the renewal every six months subscription.
- $180 for the renewal every twelve months subscription.
Pet Treater Deluxe Dog Pack’s subscription plans cost:
- $29 for the “Try It Out Now” option.
- $25 for the monthly renewal subscription.
- $75 for the renewal every three months subscription.
- $150 for the renewal every six months subscription.
- $300 for the renewal every twelve months subscription.
Visit Pet Treater website for more information. They also offer gift subscriptions!
In each of these pet subscription boxes, subscribers are given the opportunity to save more money by acquiring or gifting more boxes. BarkBox and Pet Treater both offer free shipping in the United States and provide discounts for longer commitments. Between the two, all Pet Treater’s subscription types are lower-cost. Nevertheless, BarkBox’s high-quality products balance out their subscription price.
CUSTOMIZATION AND SIGN UP PROCESS
When it comes to choosing the pet subscription box that matches your dog’s needs, there are certain factors to be taken into consideration. Some subscribers prefer budget-friendly boxes, while for others, receiving high-quality items is more ideal. BarkBox provides customizable boxes of a themed collection of toys and treats for your dog, while Pet Treater has items tailored to your pet’s size. Both their sign up forms include a survey wherein you can fill out the specifications of your pet to help them better determine which products would be a good fit for him or her.
BarkBox Customization and Sign Up Process
With BarkBox, you can further customize your dog’s monthly subscription box to your liking. You can change the assortment if you want more or less toys, treats, or chews in each box, and they can even send a BarkBox with toys or treats only. This helps ensure you are getting a different set of goodies in each package instead of the same things every time.
To join BarkBox, you’ll have to answer some basic questions about your dog for them to assign a box that’s just right for him or her. They’ll ask you to provide the following details:
- Your dog’s name.
- Your dog’s gender (whether “she’s a good girl” or “he’s a good boy”).
- Your dog’s size (“Small” at 1 to 20 pounds, “Medium” at 20 to 50 pounds, or “Large” at 50-plus pounds). BarkBox notes that regardless of size, all products have the same price, and you can change sizes at any time.
- Your dog’s breed and birthday or adoption day (you have the option to skip these steps).
- Your dog’s allergies (in case your dog is allergic to chicken, turkey, and/or beef, you can easily inform them not to send any of these by ticking it from the choices). Note that all of their treats are made in the USA and Canada with globally sourced ingredients, which are always free of corn, wheat, or soy. Also, if your pooch has other dietary needs, BarkBox encourages you to chat with them after checkout, and they’ll do their best to accommodate you.
After providing your email, you can sign up for updates from BarkBox so that they can keep you posted regarding the subscription you’ll be getting. Then, you’ll be asked to choose which type of subscription you want to acquire. If you would like to add an extra premium toy to your dog’s BarkBox, they offer it for just $9 per month.
BarkBox guarantees your dog’s absolute happiness and if they ever fail to achieve that, they’ll work to make it right. For the first box, you have the freedom to pick your dog’s theme from their theme of the month, top rated theme, and “Surprise me!” theme. This includes 2 toys, 2 treat bags, and 1 chew curated just for your dog from a unique themed collection each month. Every month after, your dog will get a new, surprise theme with 2 toys, 2 treats, and 1 chew. Lastly, you’ll be tasked to fill out your shipping address, promo code (if any), and billing address, which has the credit card and PayPal as payment options.
Pet Treater Customization and Sign Up Process
Every Pet Treater box has thoughtfully curated items for you and your furry companion. They offer both the Dog Pack and the Cat Pack that include 3-4 hand-selected products featuring toys, treats, and extra goodies. For the Dog Pack, they also provide treats only or toys only boxes for $18 per month. Alternatively, Pet Treater gives you the option to choose between their regular or Deluxe Dog Pack subscription (monthly at $25), which consists of 5-8 handpicked very fun toys, treats, and goodies. If your dog requires more items, you can opt for the Deluxe Dog Pack subscription.
When you sign up for Pet Treater, you’ll start by choosing between the “treat your dog” or “treat your cat” options. When you’ve selected your choice, you can proceed to “order dog pack” or “order cat pack.”
Whether you choose the Pet Treater Dog Pack or Pet Treater Deluxe Dog Pack subscription, they’ll ask you to provide the following details:
- Your dog’s size (“Small” at 0 to 20 pounds, “Medium” at 21 to 50 pounds, or “Large” at 51-plus pounds).
- Your dog’s allergies (in case your dog is allergic to peanut, chicken, or grain, you can easily inform them not to send any of these by ticking it from the choices).
- Your dog’s name.
- Your dog’s date of birth or adoption date.
- Your dog’s age.
- Your dog’s weight (in pounds).
- Your dog’s gender (male or female).
- Your pet’s type (dog or cat).
- Your dog’s breed (you have the option to skip this step).
Correspondingly, they’ll ask you to pick a subscription plan. If you would like to add another box, they have an “add another pet” option.
Upon checking out, new customers will be asked to provide an email address to create an account, while returning customers could sign in with their existing accounts. Finally, you’ll be tasked to fill out your shipping address, coupon or gift code (if any), and billing address, which has the credit card as a payment option.
BarkBox and Pet Treater both have a user-friendly sign up process with steps that are easy to understand. However, each subscription service used a different type of approach in dealing with their customers. BarkBox made use of a conversational tone, while Pet Treater presented in a simple yet straightforward way of acquiring details from subscribers.
BarkBox Monthly Themes
One of the most unique features of BarkBox is their new and changing themes per month. Every box comes packed with a themed collection of toys, treats, and chews. BarkBox offers monthly adventures for your dog to make way for them to participate in the holidays within your household.
Some of the themes BarkBox has previously utilized include “Dinner Dates: LOVE on the menu,” “Sit, Stay, Spa Day!: Who’s a Good Dog?,” “Peanuts: Happiness is a Warm Puppy,” “Home Alone: AAAAAAAARF!,” “Dogsgiving: Playtime Is Served!,” “Lick or Treat: Happy Howloween!,” “An Autumn Tail: It’s puppy spice season!,” and many more.
Pet Treater Monthly Themes
One of the perks of Pet Treater (Dog Pack or Deluxe Dog Pack) is subscribers get to experience package contents that vary month to month. Each box contains toys, treats, and goodies for your dog. Pet Treater considers pets as part of the family, and they work hard to provide only the best for them.
Although every Pet Treater (Dog Pack or Deluxe Dog Pack) box doesn’t always come with a stated theme per month, their items still have commonalities. Their past boxes featured themes such as “Myths & Magic,” “Take a Walk on the Wild Side,” “Smoky Mountains,” etc. Pet Treater (Dog Pack or Deluxe Dog Pack) also includes a themed bandana each month for your pup to wear and collect.
All dogs come with different breeds and sizes, thus they also have varying needs. BarkBox not only designs their own toys with high-quality materials but also with the intention to make your dog the happiest they can be. You can also state specific toy features or types that you want to be included or excluded. BarkBox sends out 2 imaginative, innovative, and satisfying toys that are entertaining to dogs and humans alike. Alternatively, BarkBox gives you the option to choose between their regular or BARK’s Super Chewer subscription (monthly at $45 per box, six months at $35 per box, and twelve months at $30 per box), which has products specifically designed for strong chewers who require tougher toys. If your dog needs extra-durable playthings, you can opt for the Super Chewer subscription.
Pet Treater Toys
Whether you only need a few items or you want to get more products for your pooch, Pet Treater offers you options through their Dog Pack and Deluxe Dog Pack. Each Pet Treater Dog Pack comes with at least 1 extremely fun toy. By acquiring the Pet Treater Deluxe Dog Pack (monthly at $25), you can receive extra items consisting of at least 2 super fun toys. Additionally, they also provide Toys Only Dog Pack without treats, just 3-4 hand-selected really fun toys for $18 per month. Their monthly shipment generally includes items such as plush toys, chew toys, squeaky toys, interactive toys, treat dispensing toys, and food stuffable toys that encourage interaction between you and your fur baby, especially when you’re teaching them tricks or training them. Pet Treater assures that their subscribers will get a new batch of goodies every month.
As for BarkBox’s treats, they are all made in the United States and Canada. Wheat, corn, or soy are never used as primary ingredients, and you can also choose to have them exclude treats with chicken, turkey, and/or beef. Each BarkBox contains 2 all-natural bags of treats that are made in-house with only the highest quality ingredients. Most of their treats are soft, moist, hard, rough, smooth, tough, thick, chewy, crunchy, chunky, bite-sized, easy to break, luscious, and long-lasting.
BarkBox has all the noms your dog deserves. Every ingredient and nutrition details are provided on their website. They also have feeding instructions, so you can monitor the quantity of treats that you’re allowed to give your dog based on their size. BarkBox’s recipes for treats were formulated by a board-certified nutritionist and taste-tested by their most trusted experts: dogs themselves. Some of their treats include Pork Dawgs, Chew Ribbon Chicken, Tootin’ Turkey Gobblers, Fair Day Duck, Lamb Chomps, Duckboots, Pork n’ Spice Latte, Turkey Trot, Campfire Lamb, Harvest Moo, and Nana’s Chicken Soup.
Pet Treater Treats
In addition to those enjoyable toys, Pet Treater’s treats are mostly USA or Canada made. Both the Pet Treater Dog Pack and Pet Treater Deluxe Dog Pack have delicious and healthy treats for your dog, which could satisfy even the picky eater ones. They also offer Treats Only Dog Pack without toys, just 3-4 handpicked really yummy treats for $18 per month.
Pet Treater contains all the treats your dog needs at a reasonable price. All of their treats have been analyzed for moisture, protein, fats, fiber, carbohydrates, and calories. Every month, the Pet Treater Dog Pack usually consists of 1-2 bags of yummy treats, and the Pet Treater Deluxe Dog Pack typically comes with 3-4 bags of appetizing treats, which are mostly composed of soft, moist, hard, chewy, crunchy, crispy, bite-sized, and long-lasting treats. Some of their treats include Dog Whisperer Dog Treats, Loving Pets Rice Chips, Totally Tubular Dog Treats, Moonshine Morsels Maple Bacon Dog Treats, Grannies Apple Recipe Crisps Dog Treats, Brutus Bone Broth Biscuits Dog Treat, GivePet Treats, Vegalicous Dog Treats, My Doggy Soft Baked Training Treats, Fido’s Food Truck, Charlee Bear Crunch Treats, and Spooky Pooch Dog Treats. Pet Treater also provides unique and hand decorated doggie cookies from Emmy’s Gourmet Canine Creations and BT’s Bake Shop, which are made with premium, clean, and nutritious ingredients. Small, medium, and large dog options are available. They also have allergy options if ever your dog suffers from food or treat allergies.
CHEWS AND SPECIAL TREATS
Apart from treats, your pup will receive 1 BarkBox-made chew, which is not only healthy but also delicious to maximize your dog’s health and happiness. Similar to their classic treats, the chews are made in the USA and Canada from both domestic and imported ingredients. If your dog has any allergies or other special dietary needs, you can freely inform them.
BarkBox has all the chews your pup could ever dream of. Every ingredient and nutrition details are provided on their website. They also have feeding instructions, so you can monitor the quantity of chews that you’re allowed to give your dog based on their size. BarkBox’s recipes for chews were formulated by a board-certified nutritionist and taste-tested by their most trusted experts: dogs themselves. BarkBox’s chews are mostly soft, moist, hard, rough, smooth, tough, thick, chewy, crunchy, bite-sized, challenging, luscious, and long-lasting. Some of their chews include Simple Sweet Potato Chew, Squeakeasy: Hard & Chewy Salmon Stick, Simple Peanut Butter & Carob Chew, Deer Antler, Simple Turkey Chew, BARK Pork Stick, BARK Duck Stick, Jones Beef Trachea, Bright Dental Chews, Natural Value Duck Dental Stick, and Beef Jerky Bow Bundle.
Pet Treater Chews and Special Treats
Besides tasty treats, Pet Treater always makes sure that your pup will get exciting and high quality chews every month. All of their chews come with a full list of ingredients on the back of every package. Each month, the Pet Treater Dog Pack and Pet Treater Deluxe Dog Pack have 1-2 chews included that are generally soft, hard, chewy, bite-sized, and long-lasting. Some of their chews include Boone K9 Jerky Sticks, Gobble Gobble Bites, Pur Love Dental Sticks, Scout & Zoe’s Chicken Jerky Sticks, Jiminy’s Chewy Treats, All For Paws Big Chew Bone Beef Flavor, Suns Out Tongues Out Duck & Mango Gourmet Treats for Dogs, Exclusively Dog Natural Dog Bone Salmon & Mango Flavor, Loving Pets True Venison Venison Jerky Bars, Vitakraft Treaties Smoked Chicken Recipe Dog Treat, and Loving Pets Yummu Bones Peanut Butter Flavor Dog Treats.
Occasionally, the Pet Treater Dog Pack and Pet Treater Deluxe Dog Pack also contain special treats such as ice cream mix for dogs, cake mix for dogs, fish floss for dogs, bone broth for dogs, and non-alcoholic beer for dogs. Some of their special treats include Puppy Scoops Peanut Butter Flavor Ice Cream Mix, Puppy Cake Red Velvet Beet Flavored Mix, FlossyEater 100% Pure Fish Meat Floss, Brutus Bone Broth On The Go, and Bowser Beer.
If you would like to add extra fun products to your doggo’s BarkBox, they have an amazing assortment of curated items available for you to pick your add-ons. Besides having the option to add an extra toy each month, you can also double the items in your dog’s box to make it twice as much fun. BarkBox notes that the items and quantity available are based on inventory and current subscription type.
Pet Treater Extras
Each Pet Treater box’s contents vary every single month and can range from toys to treats to grooming supplies and accessories. Aside from having the option to add another pet or another box to your order, you can also acquire the Pet Treater Deluxe Dog Pack to have additional delightful items in your box. Through these add-ons, Pet Treater aims to keep your pet satisfied and entertained. In addition to toys and treats, the Pet Treater Dog Pack and Pet Treater Deluxe Dog Pack come with grooming supplies, accessories for both dogs and humans, and a themed bandana per month that serves as a perfect accessory for your stylish doggo. These bandanas are soft, lightweight, and made from high-quality fabric, which are available in small, medium, and large sizes to fit most dogs.
SKIPPING AND CANCELLING
Skipping and Cancelling for BarkBox
BarkBox strives to bring your dog happiness and if your subscription no longer works for your pup, they’ll be more than happy to accommodate. In order to skip or cancel your BarkBox subscription and inquire about your options, you have to email [email protected] for someone in the customer service department to assist you. Although renewal can be disabled anytime through your account page, you will still receive the boxes you initially signed up to receive.
Skipping and Cancelling for Pet Treater
Pet Treater maintains an attentive customer support team. Unfortunately, they don’t have the option to skip subscription plans, but you may cancel your Pet Treater (Dog Pack or Deluxe Dog Pack) subscription by emailing [email protected] for an agent to assist you. Even though renewal can be disabled anytime through your account page, cancellation requests must be done prior to your next rebilling date as subscriptions renew automatically. Pet Treater notes that cancelling your subscription does not cancel any pending shipments.
BarkBox Customer Service
BarkBox’s “Happy Team” is full of friendly, responsive, and dedicated dog lovers that will be happy to accommodate you regarding any concerns you may have. They give you the option to find an answer to your queries by checking out their frequently asked questions (FAQs), chat with them through live chat, or email your inquiries at [email protected] If you’re from the press and have media inquiries, you can shoot them an email at [email protected]
Pet Treater Customer Service
Pet Treater’s level of attention to customer service has earned them a lot of repeat customers. On working days, they give you the option to call them, talk to them via live chat, or email them at [email protected] The best way to reach them regarding your specific order questions is through email, and their agents work to reply as quickly as possible.
Here’s a quick overview of each box to help you decide better:
PRICING AND PLANS
- If you value high-quality items over price, BarkBox costs $23 per month for the one-year subscription ($35 per box for the month-to-month plan). They also offer free shipping inside the contiguous 48 United States.
- If you’re looking for an affordable pet subscription, Pet Treater Dog Pack costs as low as $15 per month or $180 in total for the one-year subscription, and Pet Treater Deluxe Dog Pack costs as low as $25 per month or $300 in total for the one-year subscription. Shipping is free for both throughout the United States.
CUSTOMIZATION AND SIGN UP PROCESS
- If you like having the option to change the assortment of your box, BarkBox lets you order more or less items for your pooch. Their sign up process is user-friendly and ensures that you’ve provided all the important information.
- If you want to receive a thoughtfully curated box of items, Pet Treater (Dog Pack or Deluxe Dog Pack) offers products based on your dog’s needs. Their sign up process is simple and straight to the point when dealing with subscribers.
- If you love the idea of getting a box of themed items per month, BarkBox gives your dog exactly what they need. Their monthly themes are specially curated to bring your pup new experiences every month.
- If you want to experience a box with varying contents each month, Pet Treater (Dog Pack or Deluxe Dog Pack) provides themed items for your dog every now and then.
- If you have a playful dog, BarkBox provides 2 innovative and entertaining toys. You can reach out to BarkBox’s customer service to note specific toy features you’d like to receive.
- If you have a dog that loves to have fun, Pet Treater Dog Pack contains 3-4 quality items, and Pet Treater Deluxe Dog Pack has 5-8 handpicked products featuring a variety of engaging toys, treats, and extra goodies. You can get in touch with Pet Treater’s customer service to note your specific order requests.
- If your dog enjoys delicious snacks, BarkBox offers 2 all-natural bags of treats. You can reach out to BarkBox’s customer service to note edible ingredient preferences.
- If your dog is a picky eater, Pet Treater includes at least 1-2 bags of yummy treats for the Dog Pack and 3-4 bags of appetizing treats for the Deluxe Dog Pack. You can get in touch with Pet Treater’s customer service to note your specific order requests.
CHEWS AND SPECIAL TREATS
- If your dog loves munching, BarkBox comes with 1 chew. You can reach out to BarkBox’s customer service to note edible ingredient preferences.
- If your dog likes to keep busy, Pet Treater (Dog Pack or Deluxe Dog Pack) contains long-lasting chews. You can get in touch with Pet Treater’s customer service to note your specific order requests.
- If you want to add extra goodies to your doggo’s BarkBox, they have a variety of options for you to select your add-ons.
- If you want to acquire add-ons to your Pet Treater (Dog Pack or Deluxe Dog Pack) box, you can choose from their add another pet or another box option and Deluxe Dog Pack.
SKIPPING AND CANCELLING
- If you want to skip or cancel your BarkBox subscription, you can contact someone in their customer service department or disable it through your account page.
- If you want to cancel your Pet Treater (Dog Pack or Deluxe Dog Pack) subscription, you can visit your account page or ask for their customer service’s assistance. There is no option to skip their subscription plans.
- If you’re seeking to find answers to your questions about your BarkBox, you can reach out to their customer service at [email protected]
- If you’re seeking to find answers to your questions about your Pet Treater (Dog Pack or Deluxe Dog Pack) box, you can get in touch with their customer service at [email protected]
Still need more info?
- Read the BarkBox Reviews and Pet Treater Reviews to know more!
- Looking for a deal?
Overall, BarkBox and Pet Treater have many things to offer your furry companion. The choice between these two pet subscription boxes still depends on your preferences as a fur parent. For dog owners looking for a completely personalized box of themed toys and treats for their pup, BarkBox is the way to go. Pet Treater, on the other hand, is for fur parents searching for a box with carefully chosen and gratifying products at an affordable price.