See our comparisons of the Best Beauty Subscription Boxes!
BOX BASICS: All subscriptions are between $10 – $50 per month.
CUSTOMIZATION: Some of these subscriptions also ask you to complete a basic beauty profile while others don’t have any customization. Ipsy allows you to rate items for Ipsy match and has started allowing a limited number of subscribers to select an item, but that feature isn’t yet universal. BeautyFIX typically ships the same box to everyone. BOXYCHARM & GLOSSYBOX ship variations to subscribers.
REFERRALS & POINTS: Ipsy offer referral points; redeem points on selected samples in the Ipsy bonus section.
VARIATIONS: Play!, Ipsy, and Birchbox send out multiple subscriber variations – we’re showing what we’ve reviewed here, and we would love to hear your experiences in the comments. For Allure, BeautyFIX, and LookFantastic, everyone typically receives the exact same items, although sometimes Allure Beauty Box has variations.
- Veriphy Skincare 20/20 Phytoglycogen + Peptides Eye Cream ($20.38)
- Hempz Herbal Lip Balm ($4.86)
- Tarte Cosmetics Big Ego Mascara in Black ($6.57 value)
- IT Cosmetics CC + Cream with SPF 50+ in Light ($5.16)
- Maëlle Beauty Enchanted Eyeshadow Collection Single in Pink Diamond (about $4.83)
Total Value: About $41.80
The September 2020 Ipsy Glam Bag matches the season with its makeup bag color. It’s filled with skincare and beauty products, including a hydrating eye cream. The lip balm and the CC+ cream also worked well. Variety-wise and value-wise, this is a good box overall!
Review: Ipsy September 2020 Review
- Glam Up Revitalizing Japanese Sake Single Sheet Mask ($1)
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios 50 Mineral Ultra Light Sunscreen Fluid ($1.24)
- Elemis Pro-Collagen Cleansing Balm ($14)
- Cleo Noir Twist Up Eyeliner in Purple ($18)
- Wander Beauty Unlashed Volume & Curl Mascara ($24)
- e.l.f. Cosmetics Highlighting Brush ($4)
- Waterless Dry Conditioner Instant Moisture ($2.44)
Total Value: About $64.68 (Note – in September, this subscription cost $15)
Allure’s assortment of products includes a good balance of skincare and cosmetics. The mascara, which is this box’s highest valued item, didn’t disappoint. It has a curved applicator so it’s easy to use. The sunscreen’s formulation is also pretty good. There are changes in this subscription starting in October, and we’re looking forward to it!
Deal: Get a FREE new member bonus item with your first box! Deal applies automatically, just visit and subscribe.
- Cellphone Ring Stand
- Illamasqua Mini OMG Highlighter ($12.86)
- Diego Dalla Palma Mini Lip Pencil Shade 80 Antique Pink
- Luxie 209 Large Shader ($12)
- Brushworks Jade Roller ($13.30)
- ESPA Pink Hair & Scalp Mud ($9.60)
- Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine Cream ($38.40)
Total Value: About $86
Lookfantastic September box celebrates the subscription’s anniversary! It includes luxurious skincare items, as well as cosmetics and beauty tools. The marine cream is the standout item in the box. Aside from its high value, it works really well in hiding fine lines and wrinkles. It’s also not sticky and it feels great on the skin. The rest of the items are also pretty usable!
Of Note: While this box is $22 per month it has free worldwide shipping and if you subscribe to a year you’ll get it at $16 per month (plus you don’t have to pay upfront!). Always a mini Elle magazine plus a nice mix of UK beauty brands. Sizes are smaller but if you don’t live in the US & are willing to pay for a year upfront, this is a great choice!
Deal: Get your first box for $10 on a 3+ month subscription! Use coupon code TREATBB.
- Pūrlisse Matcha Green Tea Antioxidant Sheet Mask ($6)
- Sunday Riley Saturn Sulfur Spot Treatment Mask ($9.33)
- Too Cool For School Rules of Mastic IX Enhancer ($0.79)
- IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better Makeup Primer+ ($39 – Full-size 30ml)
- Perfect Shine Clarifying Scalp Scrub ($1.81)
- ARROW Color Enhancing Lip Balm ($15)
Total Value: About $71.93
The September 2020 Curated Birchbox comes with a catchy and colorful design. All the items are useful, like the spot treatment mask works with any type of acne and the scalp scrub that makes a great alternative for shampoo at least once a week). This subscription always sends products from well-known brands, and that’s really great!
- See special savings on your subscription! Deal applies automatically, just visit and subscribe.
- Save 15% off on $30+ Birchbox shop orders! Use coupon code FIRST15.
Typically includes a palette every month – whether it’s eyeshadow, concealer, contouring, or something else! This is the box for makeup lovers that want to do a full face!
- Blinc Evening Glamour Palette ($26)
- Hank & Henry Lip Love Luxe Lipstick ($19)
- Laura Geller LashBOSS Bold Mascara ($24)
- Billion Dollar Brows Charcoal Beauty Sponge ($15)
- Farmacy Cheer Up Brightening Vitamin C Eye Cream With Areola Cherry ($45)
This month’s BOXYCHARM is impressive! It includes an eye cream that does a great job of reducing dark circles, and this item alone is way more than the cost of the box! Meanwhile, other items such as the eyeshadow, lipstick, and mascara create an everyday basic look. There’s even a beauty sponge which is useful for everyday makeup application.
Review: BOXYCHARM September 2020 Review
Deal: Get a FREE Gift with Boxycharm - enter code on site! Deal applies automatically, just visit and subscribe.
Comes in a beautifully wrapped box which usually includes five deluxe-sized beauty products and wellness samples.
- Vitamasques Ruby Sheet Mask ($3.99)
- Daily Concepts Daily Beauty Head Band ($12)
- Melusine Cosmetics Magic Jade Roller ($21)
- Banila Co Miss Flower & Mr. Honey Cream ($1.58)
- Codex Beauty Bia Exfoliating Wash ($12.96)
- ROSEN Skincare Break-Out Spot Treatment ($12)
Total Value: About $63.53
The GLOSSYBOX September 2020 spa-themed box is quite cohesive, which includes a honey cream, facial wash, jade roller, and cloth hairband. It’s great that the items can be used together for a full home-spa experience. This curation is a treat for skincare enthusiasts, but might be a disappointment for those who love makeup.
Review: GLOSSYBOX September 2020 Review
Deal: See special savings on your subscription - just enter code on site! Deal applies automatically, just visit and subscribe.
Five full-size items from Ipsy
Ipsy Glambag Plus
- Banana Setting Powder – SIMILAR ($35)
- Dr. Brandt PoreDermabrasion Pore Perfecting Exfoliator ($58)
- Context Vitamin C All Day Eye Cream ($35)
- Goldfaden MD Brightening Elixir ($55)
- Laura Geller Spackle Mist Coconut Water ($32 each)
Total Value: About $258
It’s another great month for Ipsy Glambag Plus! Imagine getting items that are worth $258! All the products inside really give good vibes, including the pore perfecting exfoliator that does an amazing job of minimizing pores and the facial mist that help the skin look refreshed all day long.
Typically skin & hair focused, with less makeup. A good mix of a couple of full-sized products & sample sizes of pricier products.
- NUORI Supreme Moisture Mask (1.7 oz.)
- Dermstore Daily Mineral Sunscreen SPF 40 (0.75 oz.)
- Vichy LiftActiv Peptide-C Ampoule Anti-Aging Concentrate (0.06 fl. oz.)
- Dermalogica AGE Smart MultiVitamin Power Firm (0.17 oz.)
- Bioderma Sebium Mat Control (15 ml.)
- SkinCeuticals Phyto Plus (4 ml.)
Total Value: About $100
Like always, this month’s BeautyFIX box is skincare-heavy. There’s a mask for hydrating the skin, a sunscreen to keep the skin protected from UV rays, and even an anti-aging ampoule. It’s a great box for skincare enthusiasts or anyone looking to start a new skincare routine!
The new super upgraded version of Ipsy’s monthly glambag will have 12 products – 8 full-size and 4 deluxe samples plus a makeup bag every month.
- Ipsy Glambag Ultimate Bag
- Goldfaden MD Brightening Elixir Protect + Repair Brightening Serum (Full size, $80)
- Hello Ganic One A Day Sheet Mask Set (Full size, $7.50)
- Kensie Life Beat Body Lotion (Sample size, $2.70)
- NatureLab Tokyo Perfect Repair Travel Set (Full size, $9)
- L.O.C.K. Color Unicorn Hydrating Primer (Sample size, $4)
- Moda Brush Neon Angle Contour/Blush Brush (Full size, $19.99)
- Doucce Freematic Blush Mono in Daydream (Sample size, $14)
- Julep Cushion Complexion Concealer in Ivory (Full size, $16)
- La Muse Deep Color Lipbalm in Cherry (Full size, $28 listed value; get a set of six for $24.99 from Costco)
- Pixi by Petra Endless Silky Eye Pen Duo Black (Full size, $12 each)
- Zoeva Cocoa Blend Eyeshadow Palette (Full size, $28)
- Context Nail Polish Duo (Full size, $30)
Total Value: $263.19
September 2020 Ipsy Glambag Ultimate comes with different products from hair care to skincare to makeup, and even nail care! One of the standout items is the eyeshadow palette with pretty shades and a great formulation. There’s also a lightweight serum that gives the skin a refreshing boost after sun exposure and a concealer that works great in camouflaging imperfections. It’s a good assortment overall!
The competition among beauty boxes is still intense this September. As always, we picked the best ones depending on the value, variety, and the overall presentation of the box!
Ipsy Glambag Ultimate remains at the top spot! Aside from having a whopping $263.19 in retail value, the bag is impressive because of the variety of items. From the eyeshadow palette to the skin-boosting serum, everything in it is pretty amazing! The Glam Bag Plus, also from Ipsy, comes in a close second. Its total retail value is also high at $258 and it even included skincare holy grails!
Next up is BOXYCHARM which has beauty items that we can incorporate into an everyday routine, followed by Glossybox which did a great job of coming up with a cohesive curation of spa-themed items. Allure included a good balance of skincare and cosmetics this month and they’re getting an upgrade in October so we’re also looking forward to that! Ipsy Glam Bag, Lookfantastic, BeautyFIX, and the curated Birchbox also did a great job in their respective curations!
What a great month for these beauty boxes! They all make it fun to discover new beauty brands and products to love and we couldn’t be happier. We’re excited to see how they will keep the competition going!
What did you think of this month’s Best Beauty Boxes? Did you have a favorite?