See our comparisons of the Best Beauty Subscription Boxes!
BOX BASICS: All subscriptions are between $10 – $50 per month.
CUSTOMIZATION: Some of these subscriptions also ask you to complete a basic beauty profile while others don’t have any customization. Ipsy allows you to rate items for Ipsy match and has started allowing a limited number of subscribers to select an item, but that feature isn’t yet universal. BeautyFIX typically ships the same box to everyone. BOXYCHARM & GLOSSYBOX ship variations to subscribers.
REFERRALS & POINTS: Ipsy offer referral points; redeem points on selected samples in the Ipsy bonus section.
VARIATIONS: Play!, Ipsy, and Birchbox send out multiple subscriber variations – we’re showing what we’ve reviewed here, and we would love to hear your experiences in the comments. For Allure, BeautyFIX, and LookFantastic, everyone typically receives the exact same items, although sometimes Allure Beauty Box has variations.
- Ipsy Glambag
- IBY Beauty Eyeshadow in Flower Child (Travel size, $5? Can be found in this palette)
- Moda Neon Angle Blush (Full size, $19.99 listed value)
- GLAMGLOW Brighteyes Illuminating Anti-Fatigue Eye Cream (Travel size, $6.40)
- Kiss & Smink Matte Cream Lip Crayon in Tavarua (Full size? $20)
- Lottie London AM to PM Eyeliner in Espresso (Find similar item here, $1.48 value)
Total Value: About $52.87
The August 2020 Ipsy Glam Bag is make-up heavy, and some of the items are can be applied to enhance one’s features. The eye cream was almost a makeup item, with the shimmer it provides to hide dark circles. The last item was a brush and that is of course to apply makeup to the face! We couldn’t nail down exact prices and the value for the liner seems low while the value for the brush seems high.
Review: Ipsy August 2020 Review
- Looks & Meii Brightening Lift Up Perfect Fit Mask ($3)
- Pixi Rose Oil Blend Nourishing Face Oil ($24, on sale for $15.49)
- H2O+ Hydration Sensitive Gel Cream Moisturizer ($7.56)
- WHISH Botanical Primer ($16.50)
- Sulwhasoo First Care Activating Serum ($11.22)
- Floss Quartz Pressed Highlighter in Sunlit ($20)
- Erno Lazlo Exfoliate & Detox Face Bar ($19)
Total Value: About $93
Allure has been on a skincare-heavy rotation lately, and everything in this month’s box was meant for the face. What stood out from the bunch was the Pixi face oil, it helps keep the skin moist and dewy. The “Balance” theme was a good one, especially in summer when we can all use a little boost in our daily routine.
Deal: Get a FREE new member bonus item with your first box! Deal applies automatically, just visit and subscribe.
- BellaPierre Mineral Blusher in Amaretto ($29.53)
- Eyeko Lash Alert & Black Magic ($13)
- Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum ($23.70)
- Mio Sun Drenched Wash ($3)
- AHAVA Mineral Body Lotion Seakissed ($4.96)
- Percy & Reed Wonderbalm Serum ($24)
Total Value: About $58.23
Lookfantastic is a well-rounded box this month! It includes a couple of body care essentials, skincare, makeup items, and even a hair styling product. Everything works well, especially the hair balm that keeps the hair frizz-free and the body lotion gives the skin the moisture it needs. The standout item, however, is the serum packed with viniferine! It lives up to the theme of the box, which is radiance, and it feels really great on the skin. It’s lightweight and nourishing, and also helps deal with dark spots and uneven skin tone.
Of Note: While this box is $22 per month it has free worldwide shipping and if you subscribe to a year you’ll get it at $16 per month (plus you don’t have to pay upfront!). Always a mini Elle magazine plus a nice mix of UK beauty brands. Sizes are smaller but if you don’t live in the US & are willing to pay for a year upfront, this is a great choice!
- kndr Hand Sanitizer ($12)
- Korres Foaming Cream Cleanser ($3.46)
- Oribe Super Shine Moisturizing Cream ($5.73)
- Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Cloud Cream Cleanser ($1.87)
- Juara Candlenut Body Cream ($1.58)
- Arrow Weightless Brow Tint ($18)
Total Value: About $43
The August 2020 curated Birchbox is a really good curation as it contains mostly skincare products, like cleansers and hydrating cream. They also included some hair styling products that provide nourishment and shine to the tresses. Everything is useful, so nothing in this box will go to waste!
- See special savings on your subscription! Deal applies automatically, just visit and subscribe.
- Save 15% off on $30+ Birchbox shop orders! Use coupon code FIRST15.
Typically includes a palette every month – whether it’s eyeshadow, concealer, contouring, or something else! This is the box for makeup lovers that want to do a full face!
Variation # 1
- Glamglow Moisturetrip Omega Rich Face Moisturizer ($54)
- Elizabeth Mott Thank Me Later Eye Primer ($20)
- Morphe I Got This Brush Set ($12)
- Trestique Summer Glow + Go Set ($42)
- Trestique A Matte For Every Mood ($58)
Total Value: About $186
This month’s BOXYCHARM is make-up heavy, plus there are also make-up tools and skincare items! The moisturizing cream takes the spotlight, as its lightweight and non-sticky formula makes it ideal for use during summer. Coming in a close second are the 2 makeup sets which are great for creating full-face makeup looks. One set includes a travel-friendly version of highlighter, blush, eyeshadow, and brow liner, and another set has 6 beautiful lipstick shades! The makeup brushes and the eye makeup primer are also both useful!
Review: BOXYCHARM August 2020 Review
- Get one month FREE when you sign up for a 12-month BoxyCharm subscription! Deal applies automatically, just visit and subscribe.
- Get a FREE Gift with Boxycharm - enter code on site! Deal applies automatically, just visit and subscribe.
Comes in a beautifully wrapped box which usually includes five deluxe-sized beauty products and wellness samples.
- Snowberry New Radiance Face Serum ($1.62)
- Rebels Refinery Natural Lip Balm Wildberry ($7)
- Tangle Teezer Professional Detangling Hairbrush Wet and Dry – SIMILAR ($9.98)
- Freeman Psssst! Deep Clean Dry Shampoo ($2.99)
- Jecca Blac Glow Drops ($21.30)
- Glossybox Eye Boost Cream ($18 for subscribers, $23 for non-subscribers)
Total Value: About $61
GLOSSYBOX is celebrating its 9th birthday, so this box is quite special and it contains great beauty items for everyday use! It includes a new item from GLOSSYBOX’s skincare line, the eye boost cream, and it didn’t disappoint. The cream has a nice, lightweight formula that gets easily absorbed by the skin. The heart-shaped lip balm and the highlighter serum also exceeded expectations!
Review: GLOSSYBOX August 2020 Review
Deal: See special savings on your subscription - just enter code on site! Deal applies automatically, just visit and subscribe.
Five full size items from Ipsy
Ipsy Glambag Plus
- Ipsy Glambag
- Ciaté London Watermelon Burst Pressed Setting Powder ($28)
- Huda Beauty Demi Matte Cream Liquid Lipstick in Provocateur ($20)
- 111Skin Cryo ATP Sports Booster ($100)
- Illamasqua Loaded Lip Polish in Glaze ($24.86 approx.)
- Ciaté London Triple Shot XXL Mascara in Black ($22)
Total Value: About $195
Ipsy Glambag Plus has redesigned the bag and it now comes with a drawstring closure, as well as a holographic design in front. It’s okay but not really praiseworthy. As for the curation, it’s mostly makeup products. The lip products, powder, and mascara are all of high-quality. There’s also a nice skincare item, a booster serum that hydrates and makes the complexion more radiant.
Typically skin & hair focused, with less makeup. A good mix of a couple full-sized products & sample sizes of pricier products.
- Dr. Loretta Tightening Eye Gel (20 ml.)
- Dermstore Wet Bag (1 piece)
- Dermelect Rapid Repair Facial Moisturizer (0.5 fl. oz.)
- Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo (1.8 oz.)
- First Aid Beauty Weightless Liquid Mineral Sunscreen with Zinc Oxide (15 ml.)
- TULA Skincare Detox In A Jar Exfoliating Treatment Mask (0.5 fl. oz.
- Briogeo Don’t Despair, Repair! Strengthening Treatment Hair Oil (2 ml.)
Total Value: About $100
BeautyFIX contains another great variety of products! It includes skin care products, hair care, and a wet bag as well! There are eye gel, moisturizer, sunscreen, and even dry shampoo and treatment hair oil. They tailored this box to address beauty dilemmas in summer and that’s really great.
The new superupgraded version of Ipsy’s monthly glambag will have 12 products – 8 full-size and 4 deluxe samples plus a makeup bag every month.
- Ipsy Glambag Ultimate Bag
- Dr. Ohkims+ Cleansing Gel Foam (Travel sized, not sure of value)
- 111Skin Cryo ATP Sports Booster (Full size, $135)
- Payot Paris Hydra 24+ Crème Glacée (Full size, $48)
- Generation Clay Detoxifying Charcoal Clay Mask (Travel size, $7.28)
- Hempz Triple Moisture Herbal Whipped Body Creme (Travel size, $4.65)
- SoapBox Coconut Milk Hair Mist (Full size, $12.99)
- Feel Vitamin E Balm (Full size, $24)
- Kokie Professional Fix It Up Mini Matte Setting Spray (Travel size, buy a set of 3 for $5, $1.67 value)
- Complex Culture Plush Powder Brush (Full size, $35)
- Beauty For Real Hi-Def Defining, Volumizing Mascara (Full size, $19)
- Real Her Eye Am Amazing 24Hr Eyeliner ($16)
- Nomad x Berlin Underground Intense Eyeshadow Palette ($37)
Total Value: $340.59
August 2020 Ipsy Glambag Ultimate is a futuristic bag with futuristic products! There are still classic products included, and the variety is wonderful. The palette was a little bright but the formulation is excellent. The hair detangler works for fine hair, and the cream is just so luxurious. The rest of the items are also pretty usable!
It’s a new month and the competition among these beauty boxes is getting more intense. As always, we have decided which is the best beauty box depending on the value, variety, and the overall presentation of the box!
This month, Ipsy Glambag Ultimate takes the crown! It’s a bag filled with futuristic and classic items, which we think is a good variety. Everything is useful, and even the palette is too bright, it has a nice formula and it can still work with a little tweaking. Next on our list is another bag from Ipsy, but this time, it’s the Glam Bag Plus. Although the new glam bag style is just okay, which is a drawstring pouch, we are still happy with all the contents, especially the booster serum.
BOXYCHARM takes the third place, as it contains not just make-up items but they also included make-up tools and skincare items. Allure is nice, and it is as amazing as Glossybox which is celebrating its 9th birthday, Ipsy Glam Bag, and Lookfantastic. The curated Birchbox is great as we get to try the nice body cream. BeautyFix is another jampacked box and we would really love to try the contents of this one.
It’s amazing that these subscription boxes carry different skincare, make-up, hair care, and other tools that we can use to pamper and take good care of ourselves. It’s also nice to meet new brands, go back to amazing brands, and even find products that we can use for longer periods of time. The competition is great as we can all see how these boxes are doing their best to get ahead, which means more high-quality and great products for us to try!
What did you think of this month’s Best Beauty Boxes? Did you have a favorite?