It’s the Ipsy vs. Sephora Play $10 Beauty Box showdown!
Ipsy vs. Sephora PLAY!
BOX BASICS: Al subscriptions are just $10 per month, so it’s easy to draw comparisons. All three of these beauty boxes also ship out 5 samples (Sephora PLAY! also sends a bonus fragrance plus a beauty item.)
CUSTOMIZATION: All subscriptions also ask you to complete a basic beauty profile. Ipsy allows you to rate items for ipsy match and has started allowing a limited number of subscribers to select an item, but that feature isn’t yet universal.
REFERRALS & POINTS: Ipsy offer referral points; redeem points on selected samples in the Ipsy bonus section. You earn points on the monthly Sephora subscription plus you can redeem a PLAY! card in-store for an extra 50 points on any purchase.
VARIATIONS: All of these boxes also send out multiple subscriber variations – we’re showing what we’ve reviewed here, and we would love to hear your experiences in the comments!
Our thoughts? You’re most likely to get items you’ll find in Sephora in PLAY!, including some cult up and coming goodies. That’s a no brainer. Ipsy is a mix of influencer faves, some prestige products, and some drugstore.
- Clinique Moisture Surge 72-Hour Auto-Replenishing Hydrator ($10.50)
- Alterna Haircare Caviar Anti-Aging® Smoothing Anti-Frizz Blowout Butter($5.66)
- Ren Clean Skincare Evercalm™ Global Protection Day Cream ($14.41)
- BUXOM Full-On™ Plumping Lip Cream Gloss in Hot Toddy ($10.50)
- GlamGlow Supertoner Exfoliating Acid Solution Toner ($1.44)
- Laura Mercier Caviar Volume Panoramic Mascara ($6.25)
Total Value: About $49
It’s a great month for Play! with their cohesive curation! There are products to keep the skin youthful and glowing, as well as makeup must-haves and a hair care item. The quality of these samples is impressive.
- Estate Cosmetics Dew Me Baked Highlighter in Lit ($10)
- Space Case Cosmetics Eyeshadow in Intense Stargasm ($9)
- Color Club Nail Polish in Ghosted ($8.50)
- Wander Beauty Lift Off Purifying And Brightening Peel Off Mask ($5.66)
- Sunday Riley Tidal Brightening Enzyme Water Cream ($11.47)
Total Value: About $44.63
Various skincare concerns and makeup needs were covered by this month’s Ipsy! There’s a brightening mask and a hydrating cream, plus a highlighter and an eyeshadow that complement each other. Also included is a nail polish in a pretty shade. Everything is usable, especially if you have dry skin and if you love shimmery makeup looks.
Review: Ipsy August 2019 Review
Both Play! and Ipsy did a great job again this month! They gave us must-try skincare and make-up items and they’re even close value-wise! We’re happy because there are two subscriptions that make it easy for us to test out a bunch of products before deciding whether they’re worthy of a full-size purchase. We’re excited for future boxes!