It’s the Ipsy vs. Sephora Play $10 Beauty Box showdown!
Ipsy vs. Sephora PLAY!
BOX BASICS: Al subscriptions are just $10 per month, so it’s easy to draw comparisons. All three of these beauty boxes also ship out 5 samples (Sephora PLAY! also sends a bonus fragrance plus a beauty item.)
CUSTOMIZATION: All subscriptions also ask you to complete a basic beauty profile. Ipsy allows you to rate items for ipsy match and has started allowing a limited number of subscribers to select an item, but that feature isn’t yet universal.
REFERRALS & POINTS: Ipsy offer referral points; redeem points on selected samples in the Ipsy bonus section. You earn points on the monthly Sephora subscription plus you can redeem a PLAY! card in-store for an extra 50 points on any purchase.
VARIATIONS: All of these boxes also send out multiple subscriber variations – we’re showing what we’ve reviewed here, and we would love to hear your experiences in the comments!
Our thoughts? You’re most likely to get items you’ll find in Sephora in PLAY!, including some cult up and coming goodies. That’s a no brainer. Ipsy is a mix of influencer faves, some prestige products, and some drugstore.
- Viktor & Rolf Magic Salty Flower ($2.32)
- Bye Bye Under Eye Brightening Eye Cream ($16.03)
- Benefit Cosmetics BADgal Bang! Volumizing Mascara ($8.82)
- Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Restructuring Bond Repair Leave-In Heat Protection Spray ($6.47)
- Smashbox Always On Matte Liquid Lipstick in Stepping Out ($5.63)
- Sol de Janeiro Coco Cabana Cream ($6.72)
Total Value: About $46
The perfume sample is back this month, and it smells fantastic. This curation also included two skin loving items, an amazing hair care item, and a liquid lippie in a nude shade. The variety is great, plus everything is usable and high-quality.
Review: Play! by Sephora May 2019 Review
- F.A.R.A.H. Brushes 22E Shade & Blend ($22)
- Lord & Berry 20100 Maximatte Crayon Lipstick in Here & Now ($20)
- Nature’s Cartel Multi-Purpose Stick in Glowball Awakening #1 ($12)
- Blossom Compact Eyeshadow in Dusty Miller ($18)
- Pixi By Petra H20 Skindrink ($7.54)
Total Value: About $80
This month’s bag is dominated by makeup products, which includes a lipstick, a multi-purpose stick, and a compact eyeshadow, even a makeup tool. The hydrating gel is the only skincare item in the box and it surely took the spotlight. All in all, it’s a great curation for the summer! The only concern is that the retail value is significantly overpriced for many of the items.
Review: Ipsy May 2019 Review
We only have two boxes vying for the best beauty box at $10 (bye bye, Birchbox!), and for this month, Play! by Sephora gets it! We love all the items in the box and the perfume sample is back so we’re really happy about it. This month’s variety is fantastic. We also love Ipsy’s box this month, as it offers a lot of makeup items, but also included a skincare one. We’re really happy how these boxes are getting competitive, which means we’ll only get the best from both!