It’s the Ipsy vs. Sephora Play vs. Birchbox $10 Beauty Box showdown!
Ipsy vs. Sephora PLAY! vs. Birchbox
BOX BASICS: All three subscriptions are just $10 per month, so it’s easy to draw comparisons. All three of these beauty boxes also ship out 5 samples (Sephora PLAY! also sends a bonus fragrance plus a beauty item, and occasionally you’ll get a small extra in Birchbox).
CUSTOMIZATION: All three subscriptions also ask you to complete a basic beauty profile. Ipsy allows you to rate items for ipsy match and has started allowing a limited number of subscribers to select an item, but that feature isn’t yet universal. Birchbox also allows you to rate items but doesn’t alter your profile in response to your ratings.
REFERRALS & POINTS: Both Birchbox and Ipsy offer referral points; redeem points on full-size products in the Birchbox shop or on selected samples in the Ipsy bonus section. You earn points on the monthly Sephora subscription plus you can redeem a PLAY! card in-store for an extra 50 points on any purchase.
VARIATIONS: All three of these boxes also send out multiple subscriber variations – we’re showing what we’ve reviewed here, and we would love to hear your experiences in the comments!
Our thoughts? You’re most likely to get items you’ll find in Sephora in PLAY!, including some cult up and coming goodies. That’s a no brainer. Ipsy is a mix of influencer faves, some prestige products, and some drugstore. You won’t often find drugstore products in Birchbox – but you may find some interesting natural beauty brands.
- Wander BeautyBaggage Claim Gold Eye Masks ($4.16)
- Kat Von D Saint Eau De Parfum ($3.30)
- Kat Von D Sinner Eau De Parfum ($3.30)
- CliniqueQuickliner for Eyes in Intense Ebony ($9)
- Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche Lipstick in Sake ($8.95)
- Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum ($26.07)
- Clinique Moisture Surge 72-hour Auto-Replenishing Hydrator ($5.50)
Total Value: About $60
This box is impressive this month because of the good variety of items. There are 2 makeup products and 3 skincare items that pack a lot of value in this $10 subscription box. There are even perfume samples, and it’s also good to note that the Caudalie serum’s retail value is more than twice the box’s price!
- OUAI Haircare Leave-In Conditioner ($4.64)
- Sunday Riley Auto Correct Brightening And Depuffing Eye Contour Cream ($13)
- Juara Candlenut Body Creme ($1.58)
- Oscar De La Renta Bella Blanca Eau De Parfum ($3.86)
- Laura Geller Nude Kisses Lip Hugging Lip Gloss in Bikini Bottom ($21)
Total Value: About $44.08
The February box features a variety of products from different categories, and it’s a win. There’s a perfume, skin care, and hair care, what a great assortment! Plus, a full-sized lip gloss? It’s the real deal!
Review: Birchbox February 2019 Review
Deal: Get 15% off on subscriptions or 15% off on $30+ Birchbox shop orders! Use coupon code FIRST15.
- Lab For You Multi-Ex Repair Cream ($4.94)
- Sand & Sky Australian Pink Clay Flash Perfection Exfoliating Treatment ($4.30)
- Hey Honey Trick & Treat CC² Active Moisturizing Cream in Light to Medium($12.66)
- Belle En Argent Auteur Crème Lip Color in I’ll Bring Dessert ($29.71)
- Thebalm Cosmetics Alternative Rock Vol. 1 Eyeshadow in Take it for Granite ($13.75, full palette)
Total Value: About $65
The bag’s theme for this month is “Swoon So Hard”, and it has everything you’d need for your everyday look! The eyeshadow is a big win, and the rest of the items are all usable, especially the pretty lipstick. It’s really surprising and amazing that this particular box had 3 sorts of big value items!
Review: Ipsy February 2019 Review
The boxes this month are all impressive! And Ipsy did it again! We’re really swept off our feet with the Ipsy “Swoon So Hard” box, it contains everything that we’ll be needing to complete our everyday look. Play! by Sephora comes in a close second, and the value is great too! The Birchboxes (both regular and curated) were both lovely, and we actually don’t have any complaints. We really love the healthy competition between these boxes, as we are the real winners here!