It’s the Ipsy vs. Sephora Play vs. Birchbox $10 Beauty Box showdown!
Ipsy vs. Sephora PLAY! vs. Birchbox
BOX BASICS: All three subscriptions are just $10 per month, so it’s easy to draw comparisons. All three of these beauty boxes also ship out 5 samples (Sephora PLAY! also sends a bonus fragrance plus a beauty item, and occasionally you’ll get a small extra in Birchbox).
CUSTOMIZATION: All three subscriptions also ask you to complete a basic beauty profile. Ipsy allows you to rate items for ipsy match and has started allowing a limited number of subscribers to select an item, but that feature isn’t yet universal. Birchbox also allows you to rate items but doesn’t alter your profile in response to your ratings.
REFERRALS & POINTS: Both Birchbox and Ipsy offer referral points; redeem points on full-size products in the Birchbox shop or on selected samples in the Ipsy bonus section. You earn points on the monthly Sephora subscription plus you can redeem a PLAY! card in-store for an extra 50 points on any purchase.
VARIATIONS: All three of these boxes also send out multiple subscriber variations – we’re showing what we’ve reviewed here, and we would love to hear your experiences in the comments!
Our thoughts? You’re most likely to get items you’ll find in Sephora in PLAY!, including some cult up and coming goodies. That’s a no brainer. Ipsy is a mix of influencer faves, some prestige products, and some drugstore. You won’t often find drugstore products in Birchbox – but you may find some interesting natural beauty brands.
PLAY! by Sephora ($10 per month!)
- Sephora Collection Cream Lip Stain Liquid Lipstick ($3.31)
- Amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo ($7.50)
- Philosophy Purity Made Simple Cleanser ($3.66)
- Lancôme Hydra Zen Anti-Stress Gel Moisturizer ($4.80)
- Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder ($8.36)
- Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue ($5.80)
Total Value: $34
This is a totally complete package! You can pack these essentials in your travel kit and you’ll be good to go. One can freshen up instantly even when there’s limited time to prepare because of the Philosophy Purity cleanser and Lancome moisturizer, plus the lipstick’s color is lovely and the D&G perfume smells fresh. This month’s box has $34 worth of items from hyped brands. It’s a good deal any day.
Birchbox ($10 per month!)
- Vital Proteins Beauty Collagen in Strawberry-Lemon ($2.43)
- Love Of Color Glow Squad Quad Single in Clink ($8)
- LXMI Creme Du Nil ($22.23)
- Love Beauty & Planet Coconut Water & Mimosa Flower Body Wash ($2)
- Number 4 Jour d’automne Soothing Balm ($5.88)
Total Value: About $40.54
The November box contains items that cover beauty needs from head to toe! The highlighter/shadow stole the show, as it comes in rose gold! It can be used in place of some eyeshadow shades. The body wash and the face cream are nice inclusions, as they are both hydrating. The soothing balm also immediately solves problems with coarse and frizzy hair! This box is great and getting everything for $10 is just amazing!
Review: Birchbox November 2018 Review
Birchbox Curated Box ($10 per month!)
- Love of Color Glow Squad Quad/Single Face Palette in Bubbly ($8)
- Amika Soulfood Nourishing Mask ($2.38)
- Air Repair Protect + Prevent Hydrating Serum ($3.64)
- Too Cool For School All-In-One Egg Mellow Cream 5-In-1 Firming ($7.16)
- Benefit Cosmetics They’re Real! Lengthening Mascara ($8.33)
Total Value: About $29.51
The curated box is great! The star of this box is the new LOC eyeshadow/highlighter, it’s pretty and stayed all day! The Benefit mascaras are awesome , while the hair mask is what I preferred for my tresses as it smells great and works so well! The retail cost of the box is almost 3 times the amount paid for the box!
Ipsy ($10 per month!)
- Tarte Cosmetics Amazonian Clay Blush in Quirky ($7.25)
- Ciate London Mini Translucent Setting Powder in Hideout ($2.34)
- Botanic Farm Avocado Honey Rich Water Balm Cream ($7)
- Juice Beauty Illuminating Primer ($18)
- Inc.Redible Glazin Over Long Lasting Intense Colour Gloss in Find your light, Not Mr. Right ($10.41)
Total Value: About $50
This bag’s theme for this month is “Happy Friendsgiving!” and the curation this month is certainly a hit. They included the award-winning Tarte blush and the super glossy lip gloss! The balm cream and primer are both useful as they make it easier to apply makeup. For $10, this is such a good deal with products worth about $50, including the trendy pouch! This month has been exciting!
Review: Ipsy November 2018 Review
These beauty boxes are everything you can ask for. They offer a nice mix of makeup and beauty essentials, plus new items to love. Getting each of them for just $10 is really a great deal! For every battle, there’s one that totally stands out, and for this month, we’re giving it to the Birchbox regular box, as it covers needs from head to toe! The Ipsy glam bag comes in a close second as we’re able to try the award-winning Tarte blush. We love all of the $10 beauty boxes as they get better and better! And we’re happy to be able to review everything this month too!