It’s the Ipsy vs. Sephora Play vs. Birchbox $10 Beauty Box showdown!
Ipsy vs. Sephora PLAY! vs. Birchbox
BOX BASICS: All three subscriptions are just $10 per month, so it’s easy to draw comparisons. All three of these beauty boxes also ship out 5 samples (Sephora PLAY! also sends a bonus fragrance plus a beauty item, and occasionally you’ll get a small extra in Birchbox).
CUSTOMIZATION: All three subscriptions also ask you to complete a basic beauty profile. Ipsy allows you to rate items for ipsy match and has started allowing a limited number of subscribers to select an item, but that feature isn’t yet universal. Birchbox also allows you to rate items but doesn’t alter your profile in response to your ratings.
REFERRALS & POINTS: Both Birchbox and Ipsy offer referral points; redeem points on full-size products in the Birchbox shop or on selected samples in the Ipsy bonus section. You earn points on the monthly Sephora subscription plus you can redeem a PLAY! card in-store for an extra 50 points on any purchase.
VARIATIONS: All three of these boxes also send out multiple subscriber variations – we’re showing what we’ve reviewed here, and we would love to hear your experiences in the comments!
Our thoughts? You’re most likely to get items you’ll find in Sephora in PLAY!, including some cult up and coming goodies. That’s a no brainer. Ipsy is a mix of influencer faves, some prestige products, and some drugstore. You won’t often find drugstore products in Birchbox – but you may find some interesting natural beauty brands.
PLAY! by Sephora ($10 per month!)
- Sephora Purifying & Mattifying Mask ($3.33)
- Drybar Detox Dry Shampoo ($3.25)
- YSL Black Opium Eau De Parfum ($2.18)
- Benefit The Porefessional Pore Primer ($4.80)
- Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara ($13.81)
- Kat Von D Tattoo Liner In Trooper Black ($7.27)
Total Value: About $35
The total value for this month is about $35 and we really like this box because we get to try out expensive goodies for a low cost. The mask is thick and refreshing, and while the Opium perfume might not be everyone’s cup of tea, it is still a good addition to the curation. Our fave out of the bunch is the Marc Jacobs Mascara.
Review: Play! by Sephora May 2018 Review
Birchbox ($10 per month!)
- Hanalei Lip Treatment Clear ($6.54)
- Comfort Zone Remedy Cream To Oil Ultra Gentle Cleanser ($3.45)
- Nyakio Kenyan Coffee Face Polish ($4)
- Matrix Total Results Mega Sleek Shampoo ($2.02)
- Matrix Total Results Mega Sleek Conditioner ($2.02)
Total Value: About $18
Birchbox offers a lot of variety and has been very consistent about it, but since this is a regular non-curated box, there’s a greater chance for me to receive something far from my preferences – like the coffee exfoliating scrub and the shampoo and conditioner combo which is for thick and frizzy hair (mine’s thin and fine). At least I got a cream to oil face cleanser and a lip treatment that I could really use. Also, getting all $18 worth of beauty samples for $10 is not an entirely bad idea!
Review: Birchbox May 2018 Review
Birchbox Curated Box ($10 per month!)
- Whal Myung Skin Elixir ($11.50)
- Wander Beauty Catch The Light Highlighter & Glowtion ($5.27)
- Ouai Volume Spray ($4.65)
- Georgette Klinger Coconut Cleansing Milk ($1.64)
- KNC Beauty All Natural Collagen Infused Lip Mask ($4.99)
Total Value: About $28
The box has a variety of products that are nourishing and hydrating but in different forms. The elixir, cleansing milk, and body lotion are products that I have been curious about and I’m happy I get to try them. The volumizing hair spray is a repeat item, but I’ll be happy to keep it in stock because it’s useful for my fine hair. Overall, I’m satisfied with my box and it really made me feel like it gave me a lot of bang for the buck! The total value of this box is about $28 – excellent for a $10 purchase!
Ipsy ($10 per month!)
- 111Skin Rose Gold Brightening Facial Treatment Mask ($32)
- Tarte Cosmetics Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder ($8.54)
- Touch In Sol Style Sepia Gel-Liner in Jardin ($?)
- Air Repair Skincare Complexion Quenching Facial Mist ($1.69)
- Kokie Cosmetics Nail Polish in Fresh Picked ($4.98)
Total Value: About $52
Everything just fits the Go There theme and with $52 in value – plus the fact that the items will last a long time, I felt that this curation was really fantastic. This season is the season for globe-trotting so I can definitely use the pouch along all featured products while I’m at it.
Review: Ipsy May 2018 Review
Ipsy did it again with their wonderful curation this month! The other boxes didn’t really touch Ipsy this month. Now I’m going to relax in my hotel (yes really) with my new facial treatment mask!