It’s the Ipsy vs. Sephora Play vs. Birchbox $10 Beauty Box showdown!
Ipsy vs. Sephora PLAY! vs. Birchbox
BOX BASICS: All three subscriptions are just $10 per month, so it’s easy to draw comparisons. All three of these beauty boxes also ship out 5 samples (Sephora PLAY! also sends a bonus fragrance plus a beauty item, and occasionally you’ll get a small extra in Birchbox).
CUSTOMIZATION: All three subscriptions also ask you to complete a basic beauty profile. Ipsy allows you to rate items for ipsy match and has started allowing a limited number of subscribers to select an item, but that feature isn’t yet universal. Birchbox also allows you to rate items but doesn’t alter your profile in response to your ratings.
REFERRALS & POINTS: Both Birchbox and Ipsy offer referral points; redeem points on full-size products in the Birchbox shop or on selected samples in the Ipsy bonus section. You earn points on the monthly Sephora subscription plus you can redeem a PLAY! card in-store for an extra 50 points on any purchase.
VARIATIONS: All three of these boxes also send out multiple subscriber variations – we’re showing what we’ve reviewed here, and we would love to hear your experiences in the comments!
Our thoughts? You’re most likely to get items you’ll find in Sephora in PLAY!, including some cult up and coming goodies. That’s a no brainer. Ipsy is a mix of influencer faves, some prestige products, and some drugstore. You won’t often find drugstore products in Birchbox – but you may find some interesting natural beauty brands.
PLAY! by Sephora ($10 per month!)
- Marajo Hair Care Nourishing Cleansing Cream ($0.81)
- Marajo Hair Care Deep Treatment Butter ($1.31)
- Lancome Hypnose Drama Mascara ($16.87)
- Briogeo Blossom and Bloom Volumizing Spray ($3)
- Dr. Jart+ BB Beauty Balm ($4.87)
- Sephora Collection Cream Lip Stain Liquid Lipstick In Bohemian Purple ($3.64)
- Sephora Collection Contour Eye Pencil In Flirting Game ($4)
Total Value: About $25
The retail value is about $25 and it feels great to get everything for $10, but the value was quite a bit lower than previous months – owing to two Sephora products in the box. Still, it’s another fun set of beauty items from Sephora! We love the lip stain’s bold color, as well as the eye pencil that lasts long and doesn’t smudge. The lash mascara is wonderful too. The makeup items actually go well with each other.
Birchbox ($10 per month!)
- ApotheCARE Essentials The Booster Shampoo ($3.25)
- ApotheCARE Essentials The Booster Conditioner ($3.25)
- Laura Geller New York LashBOSS Mascara ($6.90)
- M·A·C Cosmetics Cleanse Off Oil ($1.28)
- Winky Lux Glazed Lips Donut Lip Gloss ($3?)
Total Value: About $20?
Items from this month’s regular Birchbox has a retail value of about $20, and we got them at about half the cost! The items inside the box matched my beauty profile. My favorite is probably the lip gloss, and the hair care products are just perfect for my hair!
Review: Birchbox March 2018 Review
Ipsy ($10 per month!)
- Clark’s Botanicals Retinol Rescue Overnight Cream ($19.6)
- Glossier Coconut Balm Dotcom ($5.60)
- Eyeko Wake Up & Go Lash Alert Mascara ($7 – this is one half the travel size, which I linked to)
- Aurora Cosmetics Lip Gloss In Fairy ($3.43)
- INT Cosmetics Eyeshadow In Goddess Gold ($4)
Total Value: About $40
This month’s Ipsy is really a good curation overall, and the total value was about $40! Our favorites are the overnight cream and the lip products which promises to save our lips from dryness – Hello Glossier! We love the super cute bag too!
Review: Ipsy March 2018 Review
Ipsy is the real winner for March, especially value-wise. I wasn’t able to include the curated Birchbox this month (we forgot to order it – but it will arrive soon!), but it was a good competition among the 3 boxes. They all sent beauty and make-up items relevant to the season! Ipsy is just still giving absolutely everyone a run for their money!