It’s the Ipsy vs. Sephora Play vs. Birchbox $10 Beauty Box showdown!
Ipsy vs. Sephora PLAY! vs. Birchbox
BOX BASICS: All three subscriptions are just $10 per month, so it’s easy to draw comparisons. All three of these beauty boxes also ship out 5 samples (Sephora PLAY! also sends a bonus fragrance plus a beauty item, and occasionally you’ll get a small extra in Birchbox).
CUSTOMIZATION: All three subscriptions also ask you to complete a basic beauty profile. Ipsy allows you to rate items for ipsy match and has started allowing a limited number of subscribers to select an item, but that feature isn’t yet universal. Birchbox also allows you to rate items but doesn’t alter your profile in response to your ratings.
REFERRALS & POINTS: Both Birchbox and Ipsy offer referral points; redeem points on full-size products in the Birchbox shop or on selected samples in the Ipsy bonus section. You earn points on the monthly Sephora subscription plus you can redeem a PLAY! card in-store for an extra 50 points on any purchase.
VARIATIONS: All three of these boxes also send out multiple subscriber variations – we’re showing what we’ve reviewed here, and we would love to hear your experiences in the comments!
Our thoughts? You’re most likely to get items you’ll find in Sephora in PLAY!, including some cult up and coming goodies. That’s a no brainer. Ipsy is a mix of influencer faves, some prestige products, and some drugstore. You won’t often find drugstore products in Birchbox – but you may find some interesting natural beauty brands.
PLAY! by Sephora ($10 per month!)
- CAUDALIE Vin[Activ] Energizing and Smoothing Eye Cream ($13)
- MAKE UP FOR EVER Artist Rouge Lipstick Satin Finish in Fuchsia Pink ($8.80)
- LAURA MERCIER Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Au Naturel ($17.68)
- Clinique Pretty Easy Liquid Eyelining Pen in Black ($3)
- DRYBAR Triple Sec 3-in-1 ($2.76)
- STELLA MCCARTNEY Stella ($5)
Total Value: About $50
This month’s Sephora is super glam because of the pink lippie, nude eye stick, and the dry shampo. The holiday theme was fun and, with the overall retail value of about $50, I think it’s definitely a steal!
Birchbox ($10 per month!)
- BONUS: Birchbox Eyelash Curler
- Matrix Total Results Miracle Creator Multi-Tasking Treatment ($2.55)
- Sand & Sky Brilliant Skin Purifying Pink Clay Mask ($11.25)
- Pure Marula Facial Oil ($7.85)
- Marcelle Ultimate Volume Nano Mascara ($7.5 – assuming half size)
- Love Of Color Liquid Shimmer Shadow In Eclipse ($6.25)
Total Value: About $36
There was a nice variety of items from this month’s regular Birchbox, as it included skin care, makeup, and a hair styling product. The bonus lash curler even turned out to be my favorite. This subscription is a great deal for $10 a month. It allows you to try out new brands and discover amazing products for such a low price.
Review: Birchbox December 2017 Review
Birchbox Curated Box ($10 per month!) – Birchbox On the Dot, Off the Cuff Curated Box
- BONUS: Birchbox Eyelash Curler
- NuFace Prep N Glow Cloths ($1)
- Aveda Thickening Tonic ($12.83)
- Whish Botanical Primer ($8.75)
- Marcelle Ultimate Volume Nano Mascara ($15 Fullsize .25oz – $6?)
- Love Of Color Liquid Shimmer Shadow In Stardust ($10)
Total Value: About $39
This curated box had an awesome variety of beauty items, as well as a bonus beauty tool which added an amazing value to the whole curation. This is probably easily my favorite curated Birchbox of all time – they really nailed it!
Ipsy ($10 per month!)
- Luxie 239 Precision Shader Brush in Onyx ($14)
- Smashbox Always On Gel Liner in Fishnet ($13.5)
- Trestique Mini Brow Pencil in Espresso ($24.99 on Amazon for the mini – third party – going for $8 value based on this set)
- Promise Organic Nourishing Coconut Milk Daily Facial Scrub ($2.50)
- Cosmoholic Liquid Lipstick in Mysterious Mocha ($6.30)
Total Value: About $51
This month’s Ipsy consists mostly of makeup essentials, and the best item for me is the gel liner. There are misses (the brow shade) but getting a $51 value for a $10 bag makes up for it!
Review: Ipsy December 2017 Review
My personal favorite was my personalized Birchbox this month, but all the subscriptions are of great value too!