Mediterranean Lentils and Rice
We have this recipe up because it’s hard to find online and it’s one of our faves!!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3/4 cup lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14-1/2 oz can)
- 1/3 cup dried currants or raisins
- crumbled feta or grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
1. Heat oil in wide skillet and add onion, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne and salt. Cook over medium-high heat until onions are soft, about 10 minutes.
2. Add lentils and broth or water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. While lentils are simmering, boil rice separately for 45 minutes in 2-1/2 cups of water.
4. Remove the cover and add tomatoes and currants to lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cover again. Cook for 10 minutes more, or until lentils are tender.
Serve over lentils over rice, topped with feta or Parmesan (optional).